8.8 carrier problems... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:55 AM
newsboys

8.8 carrier problems...

... and a little of everything else. i was driving my 88 bronco last week when i heard an odd rubbing sound in the rear. so after a while i decided to punch it. that was a mistake as i heard a loud knock come from the rear end. i stopped immediately to check out the problem. i expected to see a busted u joint or worst but found nothing so i limped back home.
the next day i cracked open the diff cover to see what was going on. to my surprise i found that the pinion gear had lossened and slid back into the carrier (a ford trac lock) and ground down the carrier about 1/32 of an inch or more all the way around. as i cleaned out the center section i found two tabs from the clutches in the oil. hoping to find a quick fix i tightened up the pinion gear and put the rear on jacks and put the vehicle in low gear with the cover still off to see if the pinion now cleared the carrier. to my delight it cleared fine but to my horror i saw the ring gear (which was completely tightened to the carrier) wobbling significantly. something was bent. i put the cover back on praying that the ring gear would not hit it while it ran.
the next day came the test drive and it was not good. the ring gear cleared the cover fine but the vehicle knocked worse than it did before when the axle was under load (accelerating, going up hill, etc) as if i did not tighten anything [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img].
i suppose my question is, what is the knocking coming from... is it from the pinion gear dropping into the carrier, is it from the bent ring gear, is the axle bent, have any of you ever heard of anything like this on an 8.8 inch rear? the axle code is H9 so it is a limited slip with 3.55 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Re: 8.8 carrier problems...

common.
your crush sleeve may have loosened up, and tighteting it did not help it.
are the bearings okay?
a wobbling carrier is no good....
i would replace the whole assembly with a junkyard one, and transfer any of your good brake parts onto it for under $100 most places.
for that price, its not worth trying to rebuild yours.
rebuilding yours with new parts could cost you a minimum of $500(gears, carrier, bearings, labor) if the housing is good, and the shafts are not bent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode