Solid on my mind... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 07:14 PM
XLTChris

Solid on my mind...

Well I am finally thinking that a solid axle in my Bronco would be better than the TTB. I think I would be happy with the TTB and my truck if it had a lift and a locker. But I find kits to make the swap to a solid and the parts for the d44 or d60 are easier to find. Plis the TTB looks like a bitch to lift and work on. Even to get to the gears you have to take half the thing appart..

So my question or questions are. What axle will be the best to find and get? I think I will put 35's someday but I will get 33's first. This will give me time to get a better rear axle and still off road with 33's.. I have noticed that all the D60's are very strong but they come with 8 lug. I dont want to have to get all new rims to match this. Can I get a D60 with the 5x5 1/2 to fit my wheels? Or is the D44 strong enough with new axle shafts and locker?

I will want to get the axle from a junk yard and clean it up, paint it and install everything at home. I want to make sure I have all the parts needed so I dont get half way into it and get scerwed or end up with out a truck for a few days.
I want to wheel this truck hard but not dumb. What axle should I look for to get?

Also. What rear axle will fit on my 96 Bronco with out welding new spring pads on? I have the 8.8 and think with new shafts it will be ok but I would rather have too much strength and not break when I am far from home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Txquadhunter24

Re: Solid on my mind...

The 78/79 D44 is pretty much a bolt in swap with no kit needed. Just trac. bar from late Model F350 and 79/79 lift coils. use the 78/79 R-arms.

But by the way you talk about offroading I'd do it right the first time and go with a D60 front. For your year of Bronco I'd look for a Donner late 80's early 90's F350. That way you get the Sterlin 10.25 8-lug rear to match the 8-lug D60 front. Plus it'll have the VSS in the rearend like your 8.8 has to work your Speedo.

The first up D60 will save ya lots of money in the end.

This site should help ya on the swap and details of whats needed.

http://www.2bigbroncos.com/technical/d60/intro.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 06:44 PM
XLTChris

So what about the kits that are solid swaps. Bronco Graveyard has them and so does http://www.setstr8.com
That place has 3 different kits for the solid swap. I guess I can go find the parts and have them all cleaned and looking new and then take a week and make the swap. I dont have a huge garage to do all this so I wanted the most bolt on kit as I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Txquadhunter24

If you want/have the close to $3K plus the D44 for the fabtech kit go for it. by time you read there paper work you could have other in.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/axle.php

But you can save big Bucks to put toward anything by using Factory parts. Be out only Cost of D44 since most places throw in the rest.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 04:42 PM

This link Has a whole forumn dedicated to SAS projects. I'm in agreement that it's best to go with a D60 first. Everyone I know that wheels that's gone with a D44 solid first has upgraded to the D60. The time saved in wasted ball joints is worth it. Theres two ways to do it. Leafs or Coils. Both have it's benefits. Check out that link and read everything there. Everyone will tell you that making your own kit will be sturdier and more cost effective to you in the long run. ebay and POR are both good places to source a D60. Plan on spending anywhere from $800-$1500 just for the axle. I got lucky and found one in good condition for $900, $1150 shipped. Take Care and good luck. Check out my Superford If you are interested in seeing my project so far.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 02:33 AM
XLTChris

I just dont have the tools, the time or the place to make my own SAS kit. Plus I will have to go coil because my trucks frame has the crumple zone frame. Everyone said you cant have that hold leaf pertches..
I think I can go to the junk yard and find the axle for the back and front. But that alone would be the cost for a lift for my TTB. I would need to get a pre made kit to make the SAS swap easy. I want to only have to drill a few holes or something like that.. Just a bolt on, bleed the breaks and drive kinda thing. Jaffs Bronco graveyard has a kit to do that. So if I went the SAS way, I would now have two new axles and a way to mount them. Probably lame rims and tires because I will need the ones that came with the axles..
So what about the driveshafts? Will the stock ones work? Will they have to be cut shorter? Longer?
And what about my lame T case? Will it hold up to the different axles? Will it work with the new axles and be spaced to work on both of them? And what will happen to the tranny? Will it get more stress from the bigger parts?

My TTB did awesome when I went to Big Bear this weekend. I took it on some light red trails and the only problem I had was the lame rear bumper. The TTB did great and my rear never lost traction up the steep hills and rocks. People driving Jeeps were getting stuck on places I just drove over..

I would really like to meet someone who wheels there TTB hard and see how they do it and what they think.. I would also like to meet someone who got a SAS kit and did the swap and see what all they do with there trucks.
I think some people just put them on because other people have them and they say it's the thing to do..

Maybe I am not at the level of off roading I need to be to see for a fact the TTB sucks. So far all I have done with it was awesome. And I think I have hit some challenging trails for a stock Bronco..

Would locking the TTB make up for the fact one wheel isn't being forced down like a SAS would? If I cant have 4 wheels wouldn't 3 be ok?

Do I really need anything bigger than 35's? When allmost all the jeeps in my club have 33's or 35's and they have hard core Jeeps? Sure a D60 could have 44's but do people rock crawl broncos or any other everyday driver have them?

Anyone Rock crawl the TTB and have luck?
A lift, tires and some protection and stronger parts seem to be a good way to go..
Damm this! What to do..? =)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 04:23 PM

It sounds like you are happy with what you have. What a lucky man you are. There's nothing wrong with that. If you lift the TTB go with 4.10s or 4.56's if you run 35's. 4.10s are fine for 33's. If you locked the front I'd recomend a selectable locker since TTB isn't really up to the task of a full time locker. Detroit the Rear and be done with it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Txquadhunter24

Like Norm Said. The way to go.

If you Feel the D60 is to much on a SAS. You plan to just run up to 35" tires keep the solid D44 swap in mind. Since It'll have the same 5x5.5 lug pattern as your rearend now. Plus lots of great upgrades can be had for the Solid D44. a easy swap. even the gears in your TTB can be swapped into it. You should be really happy with it since your happy with the TTB.

To get the info on TTB, Swap kits and such your looking for you might try asking on fullsizebronco.com to see if any there have used the kit. All I know used the D44 swap I gave a link to and are very happy with it. say it was a very easy swap to do.

Good luck on your findings and to the never ending upgrades to your 4x4! it's addicting!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Well, I think you said it best yourself:

"Maybe I am not at the level of off roading I need to be to see for a fact the TTB sucks. So far all I have done with it was awesome. And I think I have hit some challenging trails for a stock Bronco.."

Your first sentence sounds like FSB. Don't worry about what is said about TTB, trust me, it works, and as far as IFS goes (TTB is IFS), I will take my TTB over any A-arm setup any day. Wheelin is the fun part. Learn to wheel more, sounds like you are a smart wheeler, which is good with both your axles. Wheel smart and they both can survive with 35's and locked, I know.

The big question you should think about as you progress is....before you lay down the dough on lockers, gears, lift, rear axleshafts you mentioned (and that is a waste o $$), if you are only planning on 35" tires or so....Are you sure about this????

If YES, no doubt (we all seem to catch the bigger is better bug), then don't waste money on D60/1 ton stuff. And we are talking big money here. Stick with the TTB or D44SAS, 8.8 rear with truss/weld.

I will someday likely upgrade to D44SAS, but why bother now, since what I have has not broke (owned it 9 years now, been lifted/wheelin most of that time)? I would love to run bigger rubber, but just can't justify the expense of 1 ton axles, all the brake upgrade, wheels, tires, lockers, much fab work, sheesh. Sounds like starting over. And yes, this can be done with a newer accordian style frame and leafs. Back to the D44 SAS, my front ARB would go right in the solid 44, so no waste there. Probably keep my 4.10's. All that gets me is better articulation from the solid axle, possibility of warn shaft upgrades/CTM's (but as I said, I'm not breaking stuff now). I am more worried about the 8.8 rear. The shafts are not the issue. The 8.8 factory carrier, mainly the LSD unit is weak and prone to failure with larger tires. The axle tubes are also big, but unfortunately, thin walled, and are prone to spinning at the diff press, bending at same location, and cracking out at the u bolts. Put a detroit in it (got mine used), weld the tubes to the diff, and truss it, and the 8.8 should manage for ya.

Wait for the next SAS convert and swoop in and buy all his used stuff cheap, you'll be where ya want and have saved thousands.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 02:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
all the brake upgrade, wheels, tires, lockers, much fab work, sheesh. Sounds like starting over.

[/ QUOTE ] It really is. If he was balls to the walls then 1 ton is the way to go since it is starting over but if the money is already spent on the 1/2 ton stuff you may as well go with what you have. On the 8.8 I'd personally go to the local U pull it yard and get a 9" and start building on that since I believe it is better than the 8.8 for the reasons you mentioned Juice.

Here's a post stealer but still cool. Wouldn't one of those custom 9" front ends be a bitchin pair for the 9" rear? lol. Decisions Decisions.

What's important is for you to decide where you want to go and what's important. If stock works why fix it. Unfortunately I have the disease of bigtireitus. When I'm done I'll be able to run the 44's I've always talked about. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford them as I'll probably always run used rubber but who knows. When I'm done I'll know I can run whatever I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode