need insight on 302 to 460 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 04:36 AM
DrDeVice

need insight on 302 to 460 swap

I have a 92 f-150 xlt 4x4 with an injected 302, 33/12.50's all around and I pull a 6000 lb travel trailer... needless to say I'm tired of crawling over hills in 2nd gear at 25mph. 302 is stock with 100k original miles. It is in perfect shape, doesn't use a drop of oil and runs great without the trailer. I also have at my disposal an 89 f-250 2x with a injected 460 that has 86k original miles on it and runs perfect, as well as a complete c-6 and married transfer case with the 460 bell housing. Would I be crazy to think I might drop the 460 into the 92 body and have everything bolt up and hook up (within reason). Is this a feasable swap, or should I look further into the possibility of twin turbos or supercharging the 302 to beef up the power to handle the tow problem. I travel extensively throughout the state for business and I love my truck more than life itself (2 more payments and it's mine)What's the concensus? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] "THERE'S NO PROBLEM ON EARTH, LARGE OR SMALL, THAT CAN'T BE SOLVED WITH A WELL PLACED EXPLOSIVE CHARGE..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 08:00 AM

Re: need insight on 302 to 460 swap

you could do the swap using all the 250's parts, or try regearing your f150....
if you have 3.08's and are pulling that trailer with 33x12.5 you probably will still have an issue even if you put a 460 in it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 02:19 PM
DrDeVice

Thanks Bronc... it seems tho if the problem is gearing, let me ask you if this would work - The ifs I picked up for the F250 conversion seems to be a Dana 44HD w/4.11 gears out of a full size Bronco, It is complete with leafs and is an 8-lug monstrosity... the existing rear end of the F250 is, I believe, also the same ratio (stock tires were LT235/85r 16's and the GVW is 8800 lbs) soooo... could I swap out the 92's rear axel and ifs with the other running gear? (It appears to be a bolt on swap) I am gravitating toward the Powerdyne supercharger upgrade (I know, I know, it aint cheap, but it'd sure look good under the hood, and where else are you gonna find a bolt on a 40% HP boost that can be done in 3 hours - hell that's hardly enough time to finish a short case...) what do you think? Thanx again for takin the time out to let me pick yer brains!
DrD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Veteran

that powerdyne s/c may sound like an easier way out , but IMO your 5.0L with 100k on the clock and with plain cast pistons unlike a stang HO or later 5.8l truck with hyperuetectic pistons, its gonna self destruct pulling that kind of load with that kind of boost in no time . 5.0s are stressed out enough stock in a FS truck...

check the diff I.D. tags and verify what ratio you have now 3.08s, 3.55s, etc, and if its *generally* going to be used to pull a trailer, id swap in the 460....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 PM
DrDeVice

I know your right Broncoman...I guess I'll stay warm this winter cussin' out whoever it was that OK'd the design of both the ladies. (But then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - and afterward, oh the possibilities!) Do you by chance know if the wiring is compatable between the two trucks, or will it involve stripping out the harnesses and swapping them too? They are both multi-port EFI injected engines, the only difference is that the 460 has the 5-speed overdrive manual tranny (which will be replaced by the C-6 automatic and transfer assy from the Bronco) and as far as I can see the existing harness was designed to be generic for all possible motor/tranny configurations... so I guess what I'm askin is - will I be able to keep the busted knuckles (and my blood pressure) down to a minimum on this project? Thanx again... DrD [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Veteran

I believe you will also have to change the harness along with the PCM. I seriously doubt turbo or supercharging a speed-density injected 5.0 will be ANY easier at all. That injection system is so sensitive to any air/fuel ratio changes without a $600 mass-air kit from <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,353521);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(353521);">ford</nobr></a></nobr> motorsport plus the intake system, then it would be best off to pull the motor and go through it from bottom up. its probably a lot more feasible to sell the <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,353727);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(353727);">truck</nobr></a></nobr> and buy one that better suit your needs like a 3/4 ton [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] imho...

or a pair of 4.10 gear sets and an exxon speedpass [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:11 PM

Hmmm, with your name and your comment on the sig page, I promise not to piss ya off. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I agree with Burned though. First item, what gears you running with the 302?

Your trailer is a lot with a 302, but with proper gearing for the tire size, and a few other minor upgrades (not SuperC), I think you can get it to where it's acceptable, did not cost that much, still gets good mileage (especially compared to swapping the big block), and maintains that stock reliability.

What tranny are you running, auto E4OD or manual?

IMO, If you are running the auto, 4.10 or maybe 4.56 gearing would be ideal. Add to that k&amp;n filter, nice ignition tune up with quality cap/rotor, wires, coil, plugs, cat back, and possibly headers and electric fan, and you would still spend less than a supercharger easily (you may already have done some of this?). The gearing will be your main advantage, the other stuff is just the icing, and will help maintain decent mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode