axle question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

axle question

I posted this in the other forum as well but it doesn't seem to get the traffic this one does so I am posting it here too. Sorry for the repetition.
I am wondering what type of axle is found in front of the excursion/f250/350? Some sources tell me it's a D50 and others say (the dealers) that it is a ford creation. Do you guys know what it is and how it compares in strength to the D50 and the D60? Also is it wider or narrower hub to hub than the older D60 in the f350?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 06:43 PM

Re: axle question

F250/350 used the D50 TTB from 80-85. In 86-91 F350 had the King Pin D60. After 91 F350 came with the ball joint D60.
F250 continued using the TTB D50. I'm not sure what came in the excursions. I do know that some (Maybe all?) Superdutys came with a D50 Solid axle which has ball joints. I've heard they are pretty stout with the main problem arising from Ford coming up with a wierd wheel bolt pattern which doesn't coincide with anything else. If you upgraded to one of these you would have to take the rear axle as well or have to carry to separate spares. The downside to the D50TTB is that the outer stub shafts are the same size as the 1/2 ton trucks and thus aren't that desirable. A good thing about the D50 TTB is that you can take the slip yoke off of it and swap it out with the D44 TTB slip yoke as the D50 slip yoke is stronger.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been. One of my questions is that I am trying to compare the older axles with the newer ones. I can't remember when the new super duties came out. I want to say 99 or something like that. Are the axles in the newer superduties wider or narrower than the older stuff? Also I have heard that the kingpin axles were better. Is that just due to the lack of ball joints? I am not too worried about the new bolt pattern as whatever I get I'll be taking both axles for the swap. I am thinking that I'll end up swaping the drive train from a newer superduty but wanted to get the widest axles I could as well as soem pretty sturdy stuff. Thanks and sorry again for the lack of clarity. I am looking for an SFA set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:51 AM

why do you want the widest you can?
super wide sucks!!!
i just narrowed my bronco up a good 4"
i was 88" at the end of each tire, it caught every tree, rock in my way. it was TOO wide!
plus you dont even fit on a normal car hauler railer anymore.

just get what you can find cheaper and use them.

i would use pre superduty though, as the super duty uses unit bearings, and unit bearings suck to4 wheel with.
nonrepackable, and expensive to replace.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

The awnser to why go so wide is that I have a 1990 chevy frame and with no lift, 38.5 X 14.5 tires. I rub on the frame a bit even after limiting my steering a bit. My truck has the bummer body on it which makes the body itself is 83 inches wide. (Yes I know that is too wide for many trails but thats what I have and at this point would like to eliminate rub.)

I am planning on swaping out the entire running gear (Engine, Tranny, T-case, front and rear axles etc.) all from the same donor truck. When throwing in the new front axle The truck will go up three to four inches from stock height, due to the conversion kit, and the truck will then be running on 40s most likely. Are the ford axles wider naturally than the IFS system I have already? I just need like an inch or so on each side. The question at this point is whether to go with the older trucks or newer and one of the deciding factors is tires that will not rub.

A very crude measurement of my IFS sitting as it is is like 73 inches from nut to nut (Unfortunetly not hubs).

Thanks,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:15 PM

get more offset on the wheels if needed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I am running 9.75 inch rims and from all the research I have done in the past it sees that I already have all the backspacing I can get. I think I have something like 4.75" of backspacing. The other option in a 12 inch rim to try to pull the tire out farther but that would pnly do so much and put more strain on my ball joints anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 PM

4.75? thats small, you can get easily 2" of BSed rims, that would widen it 2.75" a side.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

What do you mean 2" of BS? are you saying there are 16.5 by 9.75 inch rims with 2" of backspacing? Are they custom?

Can you show me some specific rims that would do that? All the tire places I have been to and I have been to a few have told me that the only other way to go would be to try to get a reverse cut rim and even that wouldn't help all that much.
My rims might be 3.something but I can't remeber for sure. If such rims do exist that would be great and I would like to think that the local tire guys are just dumb but I have talked to a number of people...
Thanks,
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 04:54 AM

do some reserch on custom rims. steel ones can be made for rather cheap(under $100 a rim)
you can get factory made 2.5's from a lot of places if you look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode