84 Bronco Inline 6 Carb / Distr. ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

84 Bronco Inline 6 Carb / Distr. ?

My Bronco has several problems with the computer controlled carb & dist and the engine wiring harness. I only have to pass a tail pipe emission test, no under inspection. I am wondering if I could convert to a non-computer controlled carb & dist from an eailer model year, and what years should I look for in the junk yard for donor vehicles.
Thanks,
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Re: 84 Bronco Inline 6 Carb / Distr. ?

Yes you can. I didn't know Ford produced computer controlled carbs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Norm,
Thanks for the post. I think I'm using the wrong technical terminology about the Carter YFA carburetor on my 1984 Bronco. I think the correct terminology is most likely "Feedback" carburetor. Below I've pasted some information I found surfing the web today while trying to figure out a fix for my Bronco. All I want to do is get rid of all that "crap". I could care less what the correct terminology of this crap is called, ECU (Engine Control Module) Oxygen sensor, air injection, mixture control solenoid, open loop, closed loop, MAP sensor, or CTS. I'd like to think, maybe a carter YF carburetor, instead of the carter YFA, might work for me. I could use some assistance finding the year <nobr>pickup</nobr> / Bronco that has just a plain old YF on an inline 300 6 cylinder. Any ideas? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
dave

Ford <nobr>Truck</nobr> 300 CID 6-cylinder, 1984-1985, feedback, carbureted

This pickup/Bronco application typically suffers from abuse, neglected service and a poorly designed manifold and feedback system. The <nobr>vehicle</nobr> will drive tolerably in open loop all the time, suffering from poor driveability and fuel economy (typically in the 8-10 mpg range). Check the mixture control solenoid on the carburetor for a varying duty cycle. A fixed 50 percent duty cycle is the open-loop default value. Check the oxygen sensor for switching (frequency) and amplitude. Verify powers and grounds to the ECU (computer - located inside, above the accelerator pedal). The ECU and 02 sensor grounds are on the firewall in the engine compartment low on the driver's side. Other critical inputs to the computer are the coolant temperature sensor and manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (frequency-based), which both ground ahead and above the battery on the right inner fender well.

Manifold leaks are very common (both intake and exhaust). Check all manifold, carburetor mounting and manifold preheat bolts and gaskets for tightness and leaks (flowing propane around gasket areas makes this fairly simple). The exhaust manifold is a relatively thin casting and can be badly warped, particularly if the vehicle has been heavily loaded, used for towing or driven through deep water. A leaking exhaust manifold will dump raw oxygen on the O2 sensor and can make the feedback system attempt to go rich.

Carburetor throttle shaft wear is an area for particular attention. Some of the carburetor screws have a propensity for vibrating loose and having the carb literally disassemble itself in normal use. When rebuilding the carburetor pay careful attention to the reassembly of the accelerator pump components -- the washer goes on top of the diaphragm, not below it. This problem has been seen on several remanufactured carburetors as supplied from the rebuilder. Rejetting should be considered a last resort.

Air injection switching (upstream, downstream), exhaust system integrity, and catalyst function are areas of common problems on these <nobr>trucks</nobr> as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:47 PM

It sounds like throttle body injection. I didn't know that Ford put them in trucks. I still think that if you pulled the carb and put a non computer controlled one on it would work. Pull a whole motor wiring harness (yes I know. Easier said than done) off of a non computer controlled 300-6 and use the distributor ect off of it too. I know you can make it work but I'm not sure how extensive you need to go into it. I'd try just sticking a carb on there first and seeing if it works. These guys corral forumns may be able to help you more since they deal with computer stuff alot with there mustangs or try here and PM a guy that's listed as Fireguy as he is the Fuel Injection expert there. Take Care. I wish I could be more help to you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Check this link Carburetor Factory to see the exploded view of the Carter YFA carburetor in my 1984 Bronco with a 300 cubi inch inline 6 cyliner engine. What I'm thinking about doing is converting to a Weber 2 barrel carburetor that's found on many modified Ford 250 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder engines, and a distributor from Performance Distributor. I'm not sure I want to spend that much money. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Thanks for the links,
dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:17 AM

Check the Ford Six forums. This subject comes up often, and it is not difficult to get rid of the feedback carb.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:27 PM

Damn that thing is small! Swap out with an autolite 2100 off of an old 302. I'll bet it will be a noticable improvement just buy getting rid of the 1 barrel carb. Here's a good link on them from pirates.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks everyone for the new links. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I've been able find some information that would not have been anywhere near as easy to find. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think the only trouble spot for my carb / distributor conversion will be the throttle &amp; <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84672);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84672);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84672);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84672);">automatic transmission</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> linkages.
Thanks again, [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
dave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:36 AM
duff

Dave,

I've done this on my 85 300. You need a Duraspark ignition set up. Do a search on Google for "Duraspark" and you'll find info on what to dig up in the bone yards - wire harness and module.

I got a rebuilt dist and FT1002C carb from Pepboys plus a MSD Blaster coil. I had done the head a couple of years earlier and with this set up it ran better than new and got close to 18 MPG on highway.

No more computer controled anything !

I just picked up a brand new YFA w/ manual choke on Ebay for $100. I mean Brand New! Cheaper than a rebult.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 04:28 PM

Yeah. Fleabay is the way to go! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode