Wheel Noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 04:40 PM
mkraffert

Wheel Noise

I recently put Warn hubs on my 96 Eddie Bauer. I had the wheel bearings repacked at the same time. Since then, I've had a "rubbing type" of "scraping/grinding" noise coming from the front end. Locking or unlocking the hubs has no effect on the noise. I've checked everything, even replaced the pads and all brake hardware and put disk brake squeak stopper on the contact surfaces. The noise is still there. I can find no signs of wear, but the noise sounds horrible. I was told that late model Broncos had a secondary dirt seal between the rear bearing grease seal and the spindle, and that that is what my noise is. They said just grease it with some wheel bearing grease and it'll go away, so I did. That lasted 2 weeks. Now the noise is back, same as before. Does anybody have any idea what is really causing this, or what the fix is?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I did a searchin this forum on wheel bearing and found that some people say there is a difference between the auto hub and manual hub wheel bearing seals. Could this be the problem? The NAPA store here didn't ask me whether I had manual or auto hubs. Also, I install the conversion kit required for the 3 screw automatic hubs to the Warn premiums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheel Noise

I have the same problem and I thought it was the bearings but you did change yours so I dunno. maybe some hear nows and will help us both [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:41 PM

First jack up the truck and spin each wheel to find out which one is making the noise. Then take off the hub lock and recheck the torque on the nuts. If the torque isn't off and removing the brakes doesn't make the noise stop then something is wrong with the bearings or you go some rubing going on that you will be able to spot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:18 PM

There is a difference between the auto and manual hubs, though I have never put the hubs side by side to see exactly what it is. That said, begin with Havack suggestions, always good to ensure for your sanity everything is properly done.

As to the inner seals, what you need from NAPA is part number 24917, Chicago Rawhide inner bearing wheel seal (called an oil seal). $6 ea. If you actually want me to get up off my lazy ....and post a pic of what it looks like, let me know.

I don't see how this could be making your scraping/grinding noise. That sounds like a metal to metal noise. now, there is also an inner plastic seal for the spindle bearing, but again, don't see how that relates to your noise as this seal pushes against the outer axle stubshaft metal shield. If you jack a tire up and spin the tire....noise? and does the tire move freely, or drag? both tires or one? If this is happening, check that bearing torque. Too much inner spindle nut (bearing preload) torque, and the bearings will die quickly, but also, it does not take much to push your toner ring into the ABS metal sensor pickup. But in that case, I would guess your ABS light would have come on.

PS, any pics on what your hub innards look like?
PPS, and this sounds stupid, but when you jack it up and spin a wheel, the scraping is not your brake pads is it? You could have a problem with them releasing.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

Have you been off-road since this work was done? Make sure the rotor splash guard is not rubbing the rotor. You said you "had" the work done, so why can't you take it back to the shop that did it and have them diagnose the problem? Loose wheel bearings will make a helluva screech, as will bearings packed with mud [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
mkraffert

OK, here's the history.

I bought the new WARN hubs, and couldn't get the old automatic hubs off. I didn't have the correct tools to reach deep enough to get to the ring clips that hold the hub in off. I took it to Big-O Tire and paid them to repack the front wheel bearings and replace the hubs. Everything was fine for about a month. Then the noise started.

I took it back and they re-packed the bearings again. All quiet for about 2 weeks. I got fed up, and pulled it apart myself. Replaced the brake pads, brake hardware, bearings and seals. I even replaced the WARN hubs just to make sure they weren't defective. The old brake pads only had 3,000 miles on them and were in great shape. Looked as thick as the new ones. Same problem immediately. Got really disgusted and took it back to Big-O. They said there was a grease seal and a dirt seal on the late model Broncos and F-150's, and that they rub on the spindle flange. They said that Ford had a service bulletin on it, and that it was a "known issue". OK, fine, fix it. They said they put some grease between the back dirt seal and the flange on the spindle. All quiet on the Bronco front.

1 week later, noise again. The noise doesn't start until about 5 MPH, and the wheels spin freely and quietly when the <nobr>truck</nobr> is jacked up. I've torn it apart twice since the first time I tore it apart, and have definitely checked the torque on the nuts. I can see absolutely NO sign of anything rubbing anywhere. Bearings look fine, pads look good, spindle looks fine. ABS light does not come on, except for during starting, which is as it should be. Locking or unlocking the hubs, and putting it in 4 wheel drive has absolutely NO affect on the noise, so I don't think it's the hubs.

Now the noise is getting worse. It's gotten so loud that you can hear it over the stereo. (Time for a better stereo?) [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I can't find a thing wrong with it, and the noise gets worse daily. Both wheels are making this noise, and I've pulled both sides apart 3 times.

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the responses.

P.S. Here's a link to what the hubs look like. http://extranet.warn.com/warn.nsf/pa...s.Premium.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 02:46 PM

I don't think your '96 is any different than my '95, and mine used to have the 3 screw autos as well. So, as far as the inner grease seal goes, there is no dirt seal, trust me. the part number I mention, take that and go down to NAPA and look at that part. You will see it is 1 seal. It DOES have two rubber lips, one to likely keep dirt/crud out, and the other to likely keep grease in. These rubber lips ride on the spindle flange right back close to where the spindle bolts to the knunckle. There is no way this part can be making that grinding noise.

Do you have a camera? If you could take one side apart one more time, I'm sure we would be able to see if there are any issues.

What torque specs are you following?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:25 PM
mkraffert

I'll try to get ahold of a digital camera and get some pictures. the noise is coming from both wheels. Sometimes one side is louder than the other, sometimes the other side is louder. Never are they quiet. I'm about ready to break down and replace everything still not replaced (spindles, rotors and calipers). I really don't think it's the brakes because stepping on the brakes ha absolutely no affect on the sound. Speed affects the sound, below 5MPH they're relatively quiet. (Used to be totally quiet), and above 5 MPH it's beginning to sound like an F-16 on takeoff. Over 40-45 the noise totally stops. Guess I'll just have to stop watching those speed limit signs. Or find a way to work tht doesn't involve pavement!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:15 PM
XLTChris

You could just install a big system in your truck.. Then if you still hear the noise just turn up the volume. Of make some shortie drag exaust for your bronco like some other people have done. =)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:44 PM

LOL Chris you better hope Muddy dont visit this post [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sounds to me like with all this trouble its just time to get rid of the TTB and do a SAS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode