Good Winch?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 04:12 PM
XLTChris

Good Winch??

I found a company that will sell a Mile Marker 12,000 Lb winch for 650.00 plus shipping. Here are the spects. Anyone have any comments on the winch? I will use it on my 95 Bronco full size for light duty. It's a everyday driver and sees about 25% off road use.

Mile Marker E12000 Electric Winch.
Features:
Limited two-year warranty, 3 stage planetary gear system for fast line speed, free-spooling.
Automatic load holding brake.
Power in and out.
12 foot hand held remote switch.
Roller fairlead
Specifications:
Gear train = Planetary - 265:1
Overall = 21.3in x 6.3in x 8.3in
Dimension (LxWxH) = 542mm x 160mm x 218mm
Motor = Series wound, 5.5 HP
Cable = 3/8"x 100ft (14,400lbs. nominal) galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook
Total shipping weight = 100lbs.
Bolt pattern = 10" x 4.5"
Recommended battery = 650 CCA minimum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:13 PM

Re: Good Winch??

i like my warns....
have seen way to many ramseys/superwinches fail.
havent seen many milemarker E's in use. only 1 8K, all i can say it was SLOW.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 10:32 PM

Dealer here in Memphis sold the MM but quit because he had to send too many back for repairs.

If you need a winch for your 25% wheeling time then get a Warn 8000 for about $600 delivered. The X8000I is what I ended up with on my Toyota and I really like it. It only pulls 460 amps at max load and hauls it in at 8 FPM, 42 FPM unloaded.

Ramsey is good but a bit more on current draw. Current draw ends up costing you batteries and altinators down the road so choose wisely.

Unless you are hauling a heavy load and are expecting to pull the Bronco out of a gully then you will not need a 12K capacity winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 06:42 AM

also, buy snatch block right away. it will make life easier, and if you have enough cable, it can double thf pulling power.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Which in turn takes stress off the winch. Always a good idea. What battery will you be runnin with this winch?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 11:36 PM
XLTChris

I am going to put a dual battery setup when I get a winch. I will get two yellow top's and a different alt to charge everything..
I know about the snach block and will for sure get one or two of thoes and some extra tow straps also.

I am just thinking this sounds like a good winch for me. And I want to have the 12,000 for just in case situations.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:52 AM

yellow tops are not made for car usage.
just get red tops.
a yellow top needs to be drained all the way dead before charging.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 09:06 AM

Sounds like Chris has been readin Four Wheeler and their Fiery Redhead project on that F-150. It kinda seems that if you were to do dual batteries you would do one red top to start the truck and one yellow to run the winch and other accesories. Or two red tops would work. The yellow doesnt have near as many cranking or cold cranking amps as the red top which is why you dont wanna run the truck off a yellow.

P.S.- If you go to an Optima with the stock battery tray dont forget to get the adapter to hold it down. I found that out the hard way...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 05:53 PM
XLTChris

Thats just where I read about the two batteries. I cant wait to see what they end up doing to that truck.
I found the kit to have two batts. I wanted to to that even if I didn't get the winch for lights and my radio and just being able to have a back up battery is cool.

So any more about the Mile marker winch? I think for the price and how mugh I will use it, it will be a good one for me. But I dont know.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 07:14 PM

i have a x8000i and love it if your running low on cash warn also sells a magnum 9k winch i can get them here for 525.00 + tax comes with roller fair lead the only major down side i have seen is you have to send it back to warn if something goes wrong (thats what the truck center told me )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode