Played good samaritan Saturday evening - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Played good samaritan Saturday evening

Saturday night fuel was cheap so I pulled into MacEwans and strapped the fuel bag on the thirsty muel.

Topped her right up with ethanol and got talking to a bear hunter from Michigan, who'd just driven 7 hours South, outta Northern Quebec, to Ottawa and was tired and on his way home.

He had a pretty nice 88 F-250 4WD diesel with the 7.3 and we got talking about each other's Fords. He paid up, said goodbye and left me still scraping bugs off my glass.

10 minutes later I'm rolling down the 416 and who do I see hoofing north across the Jock River bridge, but said bear hunter, still decked out head to toe in camoflage.

I stopped and picked him up and he asked me what colour are diesel pumps up here ? Green ? I informed him nope, they're yellow, ethanol is green. Poor devil just pumped in a tank and a half of ethanol into his diesel.

Jeez I felt almost as bad as he did, so I ran him 5 more down and 10 back to the exchange with the gas station and waited for him to call AAA. I gave him the name of my pipe bender buddy who has a garage in my town 20 more miles south and I drove him back to the truck to wait for the hook.

We snagged a few numbers out of the book for a rental and I let him dial away on the cel to arrange a car. We emptied as much of his equipment as was valuable into the Bronco and the flat bed loaded him up.

The flatbed took the F-250 (with Polaris 4 wheeler) to the shop and I drove him back into town another 20 to the airport. We got him packed into his rental and I guided him down another 40 to the shop so he'd know where he's driving back to next weekend.

I got him back to the hwy and wished him well on the next 11 hours of his trip home. He thanked me profusely and headed out, Poor devil !

FYI to all Americans visiting Canada !

DIESEL IS IN YELLOW PUMPS UP HERE, BEWARE OF GREEN PUMPS !

Sixlitre

BTW

His polaris was running like a dog so I phoned and e-mailed him today and gave him a few local dealerships to choose from to get her tuned up before next weekend's bear hunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 05:53 AM

Re: Played good samaritan Saturday evening

Sounds like you did a good thing man. I feel for the bears though. I think you should have to tackle them bare handed to make it fair for the bear. That or we should teach them how to shoot. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My personal views of bear hunting nonwithstanding. It's cool that there are people like you in the world.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Norm

I just knew I had to do it, there was no question about not doing it for the poor fella. I put off dinner and a movie with friends for a couple of hours and spent a little time and felt like a much better person for it afterwards.

I'm mixed on hunting, I don't do it myself, but I do attend hunt camps and clear bush, fix cabins, run drunks around, fetch ammo and BBQ for everybody.

A great deal of my buddies hunt, a lot of them suppliment their food bills with it too, so I could never fault them for that.

I'd be a real hypocrite too, because I always get plenty of meat thrown my way, including some of the best moose "snausages" made anywhere !

Don't feel too bad for bears up here anyway, where he was hunting the bears got three hunters last year.

The Ontario cull was halted several seasons ago and now there are so many of them here, they're starving because of territorial overlap.

Hunting up here is on the wane and it's "take back the land" for the animals right now. Our Deer population is approaching the level of vermin, they're driving the farmers crazy !

Moose, bears, wolves, coyotes and even eastern cougar (mountain lions)have made a staggering comeback. This is to say nothing of those really nasty Wolverines and all their other ferret/martin relatives.

Only our fish populations are doing just average, everything else is booming.

Well, back outside I FINALLY got my new door shells and fender back from the paint shop yesterday !

Sixlitre [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:46 PM

I'm not against hunting at all. Just Bear hunting. It's hard to explain but I feel for the creatures and respect them. We had a Black Bear in our camp this last week. I'm glad he left us alone. From the looks of him/her he was probably just a year or two old.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know how it goes, a buddy of mine from Canada came down and put diesel in his motorcycle, because he thought that green was ethanol, yeah what can ya do though. BTW, I am a big deer and pheasant hunter, but I do respect other views, I just find wild meat to be better tasting, not to mention the great feeling of replenishing your body with something you caught yourself. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

BigBlueBronco

That's a healthy view to have, there are so many NIMBYs up here you get tired of listening to their do's and don'ts.

I haven't had pheasant in a long while, but as I remember it's mighty tasty. Sick up to here with deer meat, had enough for life already.

You want to try something, try caribou. I couldn't get enough of it the two years I worked up on Baffin island in the Arctic.

The bronco carried tons of it from the dock to the different Inuit houses (and mine!). In the back, tied to the roof rack and even balanced on the hood sometimes even hanging out the tailgate.

I've had a lot of poorly cooked venison but never a bad piece of caribou. For the inexperienced cook, venison is easy to screw up and dry out. It the opposite with caribou. It's almost impossible to screw up caribou and the taste is to die for.

I tried everything put in front of me up there, from whale to musk ox, polar bear, several kinds of seal, even walrus ! the Inuit (and my brother) have always kept my freezer full of Arctic Char too. Once you've had char salmon tastes second class afterwards.

The halibut up there are beyond delicious and completely unwanted by the Inuit, so I got more than I could eat, ship South or give to visiting Southerners

BTW

We're all really grateful to the Americans that re-stocked Ontario and Quebec with wild turkeys, a century after their extinction. What a great idea and selfless act on their part.

I'm jones-ing to get a taste of one, but my buddies are having a hard time bagging them right now as they're a pretty good hunt, I'm told.

Bummer about your Canadian motorcycle buddy, must have looked like a 2 stroke for a while !

I hear you Norm

They're pretty far up the evolutionary ladder and truthfully killing bears doesn't feed us.

In Canada I have to respect the reasons for the bear cull, in most provinces, because they're more than a nuisance in 95% of Canada (the non-urban areas), they're an actual danger to residents.

Britain, Europe, Asia and most regions of America all cleaned out most of their bear populations as they settled and civilized their respective regions. Most of Canada is still unpopulated and very much wild.

While we did settle a lot of the most southerly areas, we've abandoned and great deal of them as we've come off the farm and urbanized for the last 80 years.

We live in less than 5% of the land. Heck 40% of our biggest Province lives in an area smaller than Britain, even though we've got land to spare.

While black bears, like your camp visitor, aren't that dangerous, just about every other kind up here is.

Browns, Kodiaks, Grizzlys and particularly Polar bears are all true hazards to us, mostly unarmed, Canadians. The silly gun control laws are so bad up here you can be charged for carrying a rifle for protection in the woods off season.

Good talking to you guys

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 10:10 AM

If I had the time to hunt and fish like I want, I would never buy meat in the store. I can live off of squirel, rabbit, deer, crappie, bass, blue gill....etc [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 05:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Most of Canada is still unpopulated and very much wild.

[/ QUOTE ] Damn. I'm moving to Canada eh. I hear you on the bear thing. It just drives me nuts the people who want to kill a bear just to do it. I understand that people need to be protected. My thing is is I believe alot of these people who want to kill the bear have no respect for the thing and Killing one from the delivering end of a high power scope just seems unfair. Polar Bears from what I understand are the most agressive bear there is. And that being said automatically gives it a bad name to some people. My belief is is that if you are to enter ones habitat you must understand that to the polar bear we are food and that is what it understands. I don't believe it's because they are mean but that it is there nature. I respect the Inuit and I'm sure if anyone has a respect of the animals around them its probably them.
Caribou sounds delicious. Care to pack some in dry ice? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Norm

You're right about the scope thing, it takes the sport out of it and you're no hero snuffing a black bear anyway.

If they want a fair fight, try hunting/being hunted by those Polar bears. You've got it dead right about them, we're the meat. Seals, humans, walrus, we're all tasty to them.

You'd need more than dry ice to get meat from me to you. I don't think the border is accepting any of our mad meats yet after that one steer had a mad cow gene last year.

Say Havack

You don't dine at Flat Albert's Road Kill Restaurant like a lot of my buddies, do you ? Just joking. Had a buddy who used to spend a week in the woods every may with us and he only ate what he could bag. Tell you, they can keep gopher stew for the true survivalists !

Are there possum in your neck of the woods ? I keep hearing all these American songs about eating possums and I've always wondered what they're like.

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:21 AM

As to rat, opossum, coon...there are some things this redneck will not scrap up from the road to eat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode