rusty tailgate, - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Bocephus

rusty tailgate,

My 96 bronco just started rusting out on the bottom seam.Should i have a shop cut out the lower edge and weld a new strip across the bottom?Or should i buy a new shell and rust proof it.Has anybody replaced the lower edge with stainless steel or aluminum?What is the best fix,I dont want it rusting out 2 years later.Thanks Bo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Veteran

Re: rusty tailgate,

If it JUST started, it may not be that bad yet. You need to remove the access panel on the inside and really check out the inside shell good before deciding. I replaced just the lower section on mine about 4 years ago , i got a repair panel from jcwhitney for under $20, and with a panel crimper, it worked out just fine.

but here 4 years later, even though the outer panel is still fine, the inner panel has deteriorated further to the point it separated from the outer on the bottom causing a real annoying rattle [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Its a lotta work to swap over all the innards into a new shell, but if you really intend to keep it for quite some time, that may be the best route as im sure just the outer panel wont be the only one with cancer...

Sixlitre just put one on his....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 AM

I'm going to rivit some diamond plate to mine someday. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:27 PM

Yes I did it last Summer Broncomania

It was pretty straight forward and not that expensive aftermarket.

If our 96 buddy hates bodywork as much as me, consider buying a shell and having them paint it first and then he can put it on himself.

By doing it himself he ought to be able to get a new gate for the same price of the repair by them.

At 8 years old a repair is tempting, but consider that I repaired mine at 14, and 16 and finally had to replace it at 18 anyway.

Rust doesn't even nap up here

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:37 PM

after you repaire it put some epoxy paint on the lower side of the inside, that would stop it from getting rust again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:22 PM

After I painted the inside, where you mentioned.

I nailed the new shell inside with a complete coating of stippled undercoating/sound deadner and then later in the Fall sprayed the whole inside with that greasey, vasoline-like rust inhibitor !

Now someone will rear-end me for sure !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Just finished doing all this to my new door shells on the weekend !

See the whole write up here, it's similar to the tailgate replacement, which i never took pictures of (stupid, stupid,stupid !)

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=17415#content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode