Big Bear California Off road Trip. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 04:10 PM
XLTChris

Big Bear California Off road Trip.

Well the club I have been off roading with ( San Diego 4 Wheelers) are all going to Big Bear California for the 4th of july weekend. It should be a awesome trip. There are places to park RV's, tents and what I did was reserve a cabin for the weekend so I can off road during the day and then take a nice shower at night. I dont know if anyone on here lives in CA or maybe close to Big Bear but I think it should be a awesome trip. They are having two red runs and one green/dark green run both days and a night run on friday.

Take Interstate 15 North to San Bernardino, to the 215 North, to Interstate 10 east, to the 30-freeway north, to Hwy 330 east, which will take you up into the mountains. Hwy 330 goes through Running Springs and turns into Hwy 18. Follow Hwy 18 east and turn right across the Big Bear Lake dam. If you are going to the Serrano campground, go straight at the dam and follow the road along the lake until you arrive at the campground, 8-9 miles after crossing the dam. It is approximately a 3 1/2-hour drive from San Diego.

RED RUN #1: 3N93 ROUND TRIP

This run will leave Fawnskin at 9:00 AM towards 3N93 and run that trail both ways.

RED RUN #2: JOHN BULL

We will leave Fawnskin campground at 8:30 AM for a 10-mile highway trip to Baldwin Lake. The trail will go up Gold Mountain, 3N69 (LIGHT RED). Next, we will tackle 3N10, the famous John Bull Trail (DARK RED). This trail has been described as mini Rubicon, with Boulders and short hills to work your way up.

GREEN RUN DAY #1: 6,000 FOOT TRAIL

On a Jeep Jamboree scale of 1-10, this trail would rate as a 4 to 6. We will leave Fawnskin campground at 9:30 AM and travel about 15 miles on the pavement to Jacoby Canyon, better known as the 6,000 foot trail. After the 6,000 foot trail, you will meander through the forest east bound in a run down the Gold Mountain Trail.

GREEN RUN DAY #2: ROUND VALLEY

We will leave Fawnskin Campground at 8:30 for about a 25-mile highway trip past Big Bear City (18) and on the 38 to 2N01 on the left. This is a nice green run going down to Round Valley. There, the more adventurous can follow their leader up a short but challenging RED loop.

DARK GREEN / LIGHT RED ATERNATIVE RUN: WHITE MOUNTAIN

This run will leave Fawnskin at 9:00 AM for a very scenic trail that was re-opened only last year after a closure of several years to let the environment recover from a devastating fire. Last year, the still bare landscape was covered with new vegetation, many flowers, and great views on the Big Bear region.

FRIDAY NIGHT RUN: ONYX PEAK

This run will leave Fawnskin at 5:30 PM for about a 30-mile highway trip to the foot of Onyx Peak, close to the Heart Bar campground where some may be staying. The group will go up to the summit for a marvelous view and sunset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:07 AM

Re: Big Bear California Off road Trip.

Sounds like fun. My junk will be done in 1-2 years so if this thing is annual I'll keep it in mind. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode