Water pump hurled on my driveway ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Water pump hurled on my driveway !

My original 19 year old water pump done let go all over my driveway last night !

I know I should be happy it wasn't on the highway, far from home or on the trail, but it ticked me off anyway.

The good news is I got it all apart and off and it spurred me to go for the timing chain gear set and front seals while I'm at it.

My "new" longblock is now 5 1/2 years and 80,000 miles old. When I got it apart, sure enough there was considerable slack in the chain, so I'm spending the $40 CDN tomorrow on a new chain and gear set. Got the new pump painted up and most everything cleaned up and ready.

You can check out the water pump write up and pics here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=18192#content

The timing chain pics I split out and posted here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=18193#content

Though you'd like this pic. Who knew this stuff was dishwasher safe ? Or how to get/stay single. Guess whose outta town ?

Hee hee

Sixlitre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Re: Water pump hurled on my driveway !

Hey that pic ranks up there with Keiths bathtub pic [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Better no let mama see it or [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Good work Sixlitre, you've been gettin alot accomplished lately. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 07:06 PM

OMG that was great! ROFLMFAO!!! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Malcolm,
I just had to print that out to show my co-workers [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tip: next time use cascade with "clean rinse" and you`ll really get it sparkling clean [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Ha ha ha

I'll bear that tip in mind Broncomania. It did clean up real purdy and all. Still had to manually scrape a lot of aluminum oxidation powder off.

Primed her with Ford engine grey and 3 finish coats of Ford engine blue and stuffed in a new balancer seal and glued the cork oil pan end bits onto it overnight ahead of the install.

Had to install a new balancer sleeve, like I've used before on some of my high mileage Mopars. They work well, check the out here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=18207#content

Yes I have been doing a lot lately, been killing time until my new door shells and fender get back from the paint shop.

Sixlitre

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:20 AM

Damn good writeup Malcom. I never even knew there was such a thing as a Harmonic Ballancer Repair kit. It makes sense though. Do you have a PN for that thing? I may do mine for good measure since my stuff is all in pieces in the garage.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Norm

They are a lifesaver. I've used them before on high mileage Mopar motors. One of my Pappy's old 440s was worn clean into the snout a good 1/8" ! That's what happens when you build motors that don't have to get pulled apart for 300,000 miles, even then it was just for rings, bearings and seals, no overbore required.

We could buy them right from Ma-Mopar, but for this 302 I guessed the aftermarket would have us covered and they did.

NAPA sells it by itself for @ $8.00 American under BK#6002024. My jobber's best counterman (who saves me a bundle) knew what to sell me to save me even more money(warm's my scottish wallet).

FelPro has so many gasket sets they're uncountable, but part # TCS 45450 is what you want. You've gotta buy a timing chain gasket set anyway and with this you get the sleeve and free loctite to go with it, as well as all the gaskets. It cost me $27 CDN or $18.90 American.

[image]http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=124691&toggle=fullsize&f=IM G_0104.JPG[/image]

With all the money I saved I'm changing my rad hoses and the water pump bypass hose while I'm at it. This started as a water pump job so I'm doing everything prudent, coolant wise, NOW for preventative maintainence purposes.

I even bought a new T-stat housing as mine was WAY pitted and corroded around the neck where the hose seals/clamps on. Ford wanted $164.00 CDN for it. After the parts guy and I had finally stopped laughing, I got it aftermarket for $20 CDN (at my jobber).

Well eveything's been painted 4 times and photographed to death, so out I go to schlep it all in. Geez ! It's pouring and only 48 degrees out there ! Brrrrrrrr!

Sixlitre
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Pooh-Bah

The dishwasher. That is CLASSIC. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Yep, rivals the bathtub pic. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Now that's got me thinking !

A bigger parts tub, but no rinse cycle Hmmmmmm

Loved it !

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode