Yard finds today - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Yard finds today

Now that was worth going for !

I'm trying to get my door panels restored before my door shells get back from the paintshop, while still driving the truck every day. This should help !

You don't know how important a glove compartment latch is until yours dies. I've had all my junk rolling around the floor pans, under the pedals and dust tape all over my dash.

Man am I glad to get that new latch installed ! I'll worry about fixing my locking one some other time !

Sixlitre [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:29 AM

Re: Yard finds today

You've been busy lately man.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, there's spring fever in canada, eh? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Goin' to town on her

Gas prices be danmed ! Actually just killing time till my new door shells and fender get back from the paint shop.

If he doesn't have em back Friday I'm gonna tackle the ball joints this weekend instead. Would you guys go Moog or TRW ? As long as they're guaranteed for life and greaseable I'll buy em'

Both are priced about the same and I checked with Ford today, their's are sealed and non-greasable so uh uh !! I did buy 2 upper and 2 lower ball joint nuts from Ford for dirt cheap. I figure if the ball joints give me any trouble, out comes the sawzall or torch and off they come !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Right now I'm re-dying those junkyard door panels and I ordered a yard of fine corinthian velour from an upholstery shop for the inserts today.

I'm also hogging out the stock 86 front signal lenses to accept the LED light I've got. Somebody here or at the other forum suggested it and it makes sense. Using two relays each I'll be plenty bright.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Malcolm,
On those sealed non-greaseable ford joints, if the price is right id probably go for them first as NAPA gets a higher price for them and i recall Steve83 mentioning that they most likely will out last the greasable ones anyways as they are sealed and wont allow contaminates in so easily never mind one less thing to maintain, heck my original 86 joints are still fine , that should say something...

Dont know about the ball-joints , but TRW tie rod joints are manufactured in the orient in which i have already had replaced under warranty from autozone besides the fact i greased the bejeezus out of them. moog may offer a premium option though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:14 AM

I've heard that Moog are best. No personal experience with them though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys

I'm leaning towards the Moog's and their lifetime warantee. Broncomania I just can't abide not being able to grease a moving part, can't do it !

Every U-joint I have is less than 3 years old now and all of them are greaseable, even if I had to use the needle type fitting like on the front two outer U-joints at the wheels.

I even put those 90 degree turn type grease nipples on the old(probably never greased before me) upper ball joints so I could do them.

TRW is offering regular and HD for heavy duty. The counter guy also said something about TRW having bought Moog ? Could that be ? If so I'm betting the off-shore one is the low end and the high end is probably just a re-packaged Moog ?

Really wanted to go Ford, but I just won't go with a sealed (and non-waranteed for life{likethe Moogs}ball joint).

Thanks

Sixlitre
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 PM

Re: Ball joints

Hey Malcolm,

I have Moog on mine about 3 months old no problems. I had I think were TRW (from Advanced Auto) and they lasted only 9 months second set (warranty replacement) one month! The MOOG, I got at Napa where much more beefier looking and a little more $$ but so far worth it and they came with 90* fittings!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Sold !

Moog it is

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Pooh-Bah

Yep!
Moog all the way man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode