please help with carb issues... - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Re: please help with carb issues...

Well I got my carb, it was a freebie (*echo*), its a 2 barrel 500 cfm holley(aftermarket). Tho I've had rough experience with the holleys, Im hoping the simplicity of the 2v will keep me from scratching my head and hopefully deliver the offroadability that people rave on them about. I know its not a motorcraft but they just didnt deliver enough CFM to obtain the RPM band I was gonna need. Thanks big norm with ALL your help and if you direly need to sell that qjet lemme know and I bet I can find someone who needs it badly(to many chebbie guys around here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:10 PM

I direly need to sell all my extra stuff. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It will help me finish mine. It doesn't sound to me like you do much off camber stuff and in that case any carb should work for you just fine. If you haven't replaced the power valve on your 4V carb I'd do that first. I don't think the 2 barrel is going to go as fast as your 4 barrel would. I was thinking offroad performance, not Wide open throttle.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Ya I would love to just play with this damn 4v and try and get things right, but it has given me problems in the past and it was rebuilt around 2 or 3 months ago (maybe more), in which a new power vavle was placed in there, when I took the back portion of the carb off there was a LOT of $hit in there. I might clean things up, replace the power valve and take another stab at it. Another thought, is I was just awarded with the information that an older style harmonic balancer was put on this block (its a 1989 mustang), so being as this is a newer engine wouldnt that f^ck things up??? On another side note I did take the distributor out and play with it a little bit, it seems to be advancing fine (when you put vacum on the front hose it does move). I might just try and play with a few more things here and there (OH! and I found that my cap is cracked...not good for timing set at all.) I hope I can get things figured out I've been wanting to tear loose on this new tranny [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] My roomate works at tachyon racing (performance mechanic) and he always seems to find peoples needs for stuff so I'll put the word out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 09:54 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
OH! and I found that my cap is cracked...

[/ QUOTE ]
Replace that first! That is your problem more than likely.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Ya the idle wasnt firing on all cylinders just before I took the carb off to rebuild/ditch it, I should have checked that, I was to busy blaming the carb or possibly fouled plugs from a popped powervavle and flooding...
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

New problems, we found out that the adapter plate containing the EGR valve was stuck half open (easily another vacum leak)and being I have nothing hooked up to the EGR valve I really dont need it, so we took it off and bolted the carb directly to the stock 86 <nobr>mustang</nobr> intake, will this work? I seem to be getting ample spark, compression was perfect, but it just wont fire over....so I want to blame it on now having an adapter plate between the carb and intake?
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 03:42 PM

So you went from running bad to not running?
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Pooh-Bah

You will need one of these plates.

From, Summit
The carburetor will not cover the entire opening on the intake for the EGR plate that you removed.
You must have one heck of a vacuum leak right now. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

That's what I used on my factory 4bbl before I got the aftermarket manifold.
I plugged the holes in the plate where the EGR goes with brass pipe fittings.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

yup from bad to total worse, Imma pull the EGR off tomorrow and see if I cant just plug it, did you plug the outside tube that connects to the EGR?
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Pooh-Bah

did you plug the outside tube that connects to the EGR?
Actually, that was all removed on mine already. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
I bought a pipe thread tap, and threaded the holes in the plate where the EGR attaches.
I then screwed in brass pipe plugs with some sealant to block off the passages.
The EGR plate that came on the <nobr>truck</nobr> was totally corroded away and leaked.
That's why I bought that Summit piece....till I swapped the manifold entirely.
I just ran that spacer without an EGR attached to it.

The other option would be to fabricate a plate to go between the valve and it's mounting to effectively block it off.
EGR's aren't that expensive to replace if it's defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode