Air shock install with pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Air shock install with pics

Just finished installing the Monroe MA773 air shocks on the 86 Eddie today.

It was a walk in the park, partly because I ran a die up the exposed shock threads a few weeks ago and saturated them in that new Fluid Film penetrating oil. Heated the nuts and let the impact gun loose on them.

Much improved ride, mind you my shocks were so whipped you could say that about any new shock. The ride height adjustability was one of the real reasons I wanted them.

5 years ago I put new 3/4 ton leaf bundles in the rear and even with that, it started back to it's nose higher than tail tricks again. This fixes that and gives me added cargo carrying capability.

I'm happy with it. Check out the install here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=17937#content

Sixlitre

p.s./
Tomorrow it's new front brake hoses and the lines that run between them over the TTB. Also I'm gonna drill and tap the TTB so I can drain it from underneath without having to vacuum it out with my drill pump.
[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 AM

Re: Air shock install with pics

Looks good, is there a air pump with that or is itpump as you need?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 02:26 PM
broncoman

Interesting, just picked up some Monroe sensa tracs for the rear. Didnt consider airs but now wondering if airs would be better. Whats the warrany on them, will they leak after a few years? I know my sensa's have a good warranty on them and can return em if i dont like the ride, etc.

Whats the price you paid? I know these sensa's were not cheap, about 75 CDN apiece. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Give us a little report on how they ride . .. , enjoy the new air ride [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Slickerthanyou

no on board air, gotta use my home compressor or the gas station.

Broncoman

I think they are 1 year. I was tempted by the Gas Magnums, but I wanted easy adjustablilty for ride height and extra load capacity. After they blow in a few years I'll learn my lesson and buy a lifetime pair of regular gas shocks and be done with it.

I ripped out all four front quad shocks today. The rearward ones weren't too bad, but had rusted through. The most frontward pair were WHIPPED !

I did a few searches here and at the other forum and I may go for Sens-tracs as the consensus here liked them. If they're too pricey I may use carquest's house brand Bruiser Gas XDs, as Steve83 says they ride well.

I thought they quoted me $52.00 CDN last month on the front Sensa-tracs ? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

BTW the air shocks with all fittings were $132.00 CDN for the pair.

Sixlitre [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:38 PM
broncoman

You're starting to run out of things to do to the ol Beast. She'll be riding like a dream in no time. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Let me know how much those 4 fronts are, maybe I'll replace my old SSV's. Never did like em much.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I hope she starts riding better if not, like you say, a dream soon. Tired of picking my dentures off the dash from the harsh ride !

I just bought those Sensa-Tracs today for the front. The pair of 37036s were $56.00 CDN each and the pair of 37095s were $53.00 each. lifetime, like you said.

I ripped the old ones off yesterday so I'm good to go tomorrow to get these new ones back on.

I'll have to wait to test drive em' as I've got to finish bending up and replacing the new lines that run from the front brake hoses over the TTB to the union under the master cylinder.

That's the whole reason I had the truck in the air. As a matter of fact I was in at Best Price Auto today and I pigged out and bought new calipers, rotors, pads and inner wheel bearing seals.

They were so cheap I couldn't resist. I needed to turn my replacement rotors for the first time since they were new 5 years ago. They wanted $20.00 CDN to turn them or $38.00 for new ones. I went new.

The calipers were $25.00 CDN each with a $45.00 CDN core charge each (guess I'll be taking back the old ones). With gas soaring outta sight if either of these calipers had been sticking, the mileage increase will pay off the new ones in no time.

Went to General Bearing and picked up the real deal; Timken inner and outer bearings for $13.23 and $14.51 CDN ! Gonna pack em' with synthetic grease and hope for another 1/2 mpg improvement (wishful).

I won't be running out of things to do, I'm just killing time until my new door shells and other fender come back from the paint shop.

After they're on, it's new rear quarters (pre-painting and glueing them on) and a hood. Then every panel will be brand new (counting last year's new tailgate, fender and under grill piece).

That ought to keep me busy. Let's just hope gas doesn't get so prohibitive I have to buy a ricer and park this !

Sixlitre

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode