Check engine light codes (related?) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Check engine light codes (related?)

Haven't had many engine pains for a while now, but today was my day. Came out of work to day started up and the lights on. Idle is real rough but i wait my usual 2 minutes till i put it in reverse and it dies, It raining in buckets so getting out and doing anything is not an option. I try it again, and it runs no problem until I get on the highway and crusin about 65ish an [bleep] cuts in front of me I hit the brakes and- light comes on, loose a little power but still running starts SURGING now, tach goes to3K+ then back to normal about 1.5K. i get to my exit 5 minutes later and it runs fine, light goes out and I go home pull in from of house light goes on surging starts, so I shut it down. wait about 15 seconds start it up no problems, What the "F". It was storming here on and off all day, so in between storms I was able to get the codes. I got my usual (had when i put this motor in) 85 and 34. but I also get a 22 which is MAP sensor voltage signal out of specs or not a normal vaccum level. No problem I have a MAP and in the spare box, put it on clear codes, go for a ride about 25 minutes no light(s). Happy- But decide to see if any codes are still there. Sure enough trusty old 85 and 34. i decided to replace the EGR valve, Tube from manufold, and EVP sensor on top of valve. This freaking code won't go away. I decided to do engine running test also just for the hell of it. Got code 44-Thermactor air control system problem and good olde 34. I've had 44 since i put this engine in also. Can't seem to figure that one out. But my question is, Could 44 affect 34 or vice-versa? it obviously has to do with the emmision parts of it. Everything is hooked up , I just don't have Cats. Any hypothosis is appriciated-BOB [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Re: Check engine light codes (related?)

Bob,
i dont know if this will be any help, but after i put my new engine in 3 years ago i started getting a 34 egr code. After clearing and continuously showing up even though not having any performance issues, i spent a few days trying to diagnose it with my multimeter and my haynes. I suspected something with the solenoids behind the battery , the egr/tad/tav thingys...

turned out that vacuum hose harness running across from the motor to those solenoids had very brittle vacuum hoses and one had cracked slightly but enough to trigger a trouble code. I repaired the brittle lines and *knock on wood* have only had a #11 system pass for quite some time now. just something to look into as those lines get very brittle over the years and dont like to be disturbed...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Re: Check engine light codes (related?)

Thanks, but they have all been replaced with silicone hose less than a year ago, I thought a vaccum leak myself but couldn't find one, It has been running fine now for about two days. I'mm beggining to think it doesn't like the rain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode