do's and don'ts of gears? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

do\'s and don\'ts of gears?

My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of getting gears with some birthday money (if I get enough). I'm thinking I either want 4.11's (4.10's or whatever) or 4.56's. What all do I need to get and watch out for when getting?

Will I need a new carriers, and where might I get these carriers? Will any d44 gears work or do I need special ones because its a front ttb axle? Are there things that tip me off that those are bad/good gears (brand, no. of teeth, etc)? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:01 PM

Re: do\'s and don\'ts of gears?

I would get that money and then sit on it. Save some up for a locker or some kind of other traction aid. I don't think that you will regret it. What you will regret is paying someone to set up your diff or diffs twice.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:03 PM

Some gears require different carriers. I think you will be fine even with the 4.56's. Save up and get a package price. There are some places that do this double traction package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:08 PM

What size tires do you plan on running? 4.11s are good for 33's 4.56's are good for 35s. I agree with the Chebby guy though. It's smart to get both the locker and gears at the same time as it will save you the cost of a carrier and extra instalation if you don't know how to do the job on your own. I still have that 9" pumpkin with 4.56s and a Detroit in it. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I forgot to add that with the TTB you will want to order High Pinion Gears for the D44.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I know I should wait to get the lockers and gears at the same time, BUT I don't wanna wait that long. With people telling me that lower gears will probably improve my gas mileage (because then I'll be able to take advantage of overdrive), and with gas prices reaching record highs (even though I don't know why...different discussion), I figure that the lockers can come later. My dad can put the gears in, so I don't have to worry about the extra labor costs.

So would I, or wouldn't I need new carrier(s)? So, any high pinion 4.56 (or 4.11) gears will work for the d44 then? Do they have to be "reverse rotation"? TIA

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:43 PM

i thought that the small bearing were used on gears up to 3.96 and largeer bearing for 4.11 and above and the front are reverse cut gears aint i please correct me if i'm wrong
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:31 PM

you need high pinion gears for the front, bearings, shims, and a new carrier for the front.

for the back all you need is gears, bearings, and a shim kit,
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:41 AM

If installation cost is not an issue than go ahead and go for it. Have your dad teach you the ropes as you go too.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:37 PM

No, not "any" D44 gears will work. As Burned said, they need to be High Pinion (reverse rotation). TTB does not matter, there are solid D44 that are high pinion, same gear.

Carrier change for the front (Dana Spicer stuff), the 8.8 is Visteon (sterling) or "Ford" and requires no carrier change (all gear ratios will work on a single sized carrier). Need the setup/install kits (shims, bearings, etc.)

Gearing is a BIG decision.

Just because someone told you your MPG's will go up by gearing lower (numerically higher) do to your OD, I would not necessarily believe it. There is a limit to this that you arrive at quickly. The trick is being able to utilize your OD, lowering highway RPM, without much lugging. The factory does a decent job of setting up the gearing to work with the motor. when people start changing that "sweet spot", the motor usually responds with poorer MPG's.

whoa, back to big decision...4.10's or 4.56? Either are good. If you know you will never go bigger than 33's [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] 4.10's will be great with either V8. move to 35's, and 4.56 is best with 302. Most folks run 4.56's with the 5.8 and 35's or so, but they all complain of mileage. I still get fairly good mileage running the 4.10's (5.8 motor).

EDIT: don't forget though, since you brought mileage...those gears will make your truck feel lots more peppy, especially 4.56, so...can you keep the right foot on the egg? if not, your planned MPG increase will go [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

I've been wanting to do the 4.56's with 35's for a while now, but I know that it will be a good long while before I'll be able to get 35's on there, and I don't think that the 4.56's will mix well with the 32's for that long of a time. Anyway, since I'll probably get 33's next, I'll just go with 4.10's. Thanks for all of your advice guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode