Off Roading Forums banner

Colum shift has lots of slop in it

432 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  95LilMule 
G
#1 ·
My '95 Bronco has excessive slop in the colum shifter. I went to my local Ford dealer and he sold me a couple of parts that reside inside the steering colum (made of pot metal) that he said commonly wear out. Being a '95 XLT, it has the tilt wheel, air bag, cruise control, etc. My questions are: Do I need to take the steering wheel off to get access to the inside of the colum to replace these parts? If so, how do I get the steering wheel off? I'm assuming I'll have to remove the ignition switch on the colum... any tricks to getting this off with out damaging anything?
Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions.

G
#3 ·
I did mine on my 89 so im not sure how much different it is. I found it easier with my column out to do the work but thats all prefrence. Also if its anything like mine , check out the gromet on the linkage just on the otherside of the firewall in the engine compartment. If its worn itll also make it sloppy. When I broke mine there was no slop it just straight broke inside the column. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.