Velvet Ride shackles installed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Velvet Ride shackles installed

"I've also ordered a set of the Velvet Ride shackles. I'll report back when I get them installed. The shackles are on sale now for $159 shipped."

I likey! Smoothed out the ride quite a bit and added travel. The front now seems to ride a bit more harsh than the rear! So much for TTB being smoother (don't tell Shilo = TTB Hater). They work, although I've yet to wheel very much with them, regarding durability.

The install was not as simple as I thought it would be. The top bolt on the shackles goes through the shackle from the inside. You cannot take the bolt out as it contacts the frame. I had to remove the bottom shackle bolt, unbolt the spring from the axel, and then I was able to pull the spring outward and down enough to remove the top shackle bolt. Reverse the procedure to get the bolt in the new shackle. Secondly, The bolt supplied that hold the center joint was too long. They would have contacted scraped or maybe broke off on the shackle hanger. Of course I had the frame on jack stands, axel supported on jack stands and used a jack to move the spring/axel in position when bolting-up.

Available at:
http://www.lordmpd.com/velvet-ride/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:47 PM

Re: Velvet Ride shackles installed

Good point about the front TTB Blown

I put the Velvet Ride shackles into mine in 99 and you're right after they smooth out the rear, they bring attention to the front's shortcomings.

They were cheaper than buying new shackles at the dealer and I was craving something to take the buckboard out of the Arctic roads at the time, so they fit the bill. That was the town that sheared both my rear spring bundles in half !!!!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You couldn't cross town without your dentures ending up on the dash ! I'd had it with the stock spring sizes so I forced my spring supplier to cough up 3/4 ton units, against all his advice, and put them in with the VR shackles. Initially the ride height was higher in the rear, but that has settled out to level now, after 4 years.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. You'd think with 4 front shocks our rides would be a bit less harsh, but what the hey, if I wanted smooth I wouldn't be in the best off-road vehicle ever produced right ?! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Ya! I'm not looking for it to ride like a Cadillac but a little softer at the start of the travel and more down travel is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 01:11 PM

Damn Malcom. I would air the tires down alot if I had to ride that many washboard roads. I haven't heard about these velvet ride things. Can you post a link or a pic?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 05:49 PM

I just purchased new shackles at the dealer here in PA for $23 a side. I was suprized. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Update: I am not so sure about these things! Ride great!. but allow much movement of the spring side to side. I wonder how long they will hold up to that?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 AM

Time to fab a panhard bar
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

what's a panhard bar?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:43 PM

Panhard Bar illustrations
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Mud in my Veins

"panhard" = "trac-bar"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode