gas gauge issues 89F-150 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

gas gauge issues 89F-150

I have an 89 F-150 (302, 5-Speed manual/ overdrive, 4X4)
My gas gauge reads just above empty when it's just above empty. Any more gas than that it reads above full.

Normal thinking say's the sender is at fault, but I have dual tanks and both of them react the EXACT same way. Can the gauge itself cause this misreading?

I have a friend with an 89 Bronco and he has the same problem.

I already did a search on this issue and came up with different problems. Sounds like a lot of bad gas gauge senders out there! I have owned SEVERAL Fords from 65 to 89 and never had an issue til my 89. Is this a common problem for this year???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:44 AM

Re: gas gauge issues 89F-150

My gas guage is pretty bad too. I try to log the mileage and Keep it full as much as I can. I know it's not a good solution. But it's what I do.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:57 PM

Hakefisherman

That's a new one to me. I've heard my gas gauge's condition being mentioned here before, but not the one you've got. Mine reads the top half of the tank, so when it say empty you still have half a tank left. I never told this to my younger Brother or I'd be running under half (off the gauge) all the time.

Once every Winter it gets cold enough the gauge goes back to reading the whole tank for a few days/hours, but then it goes back to reading just the top half. What can you do other than set your trip meter like Norm suggested. Like Norm I know what mileage I get and when I let the tank go under 1/2 (not often) I depend on the trip meter reading not getting close to double what was on it before it went under half.

Sixlitre

p.s./

My biggest tank worry is the red wire to the sender is so brittle I keep having to solder to it and get closer and closer to the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:10 PM

cehck for a break or bad connection in the sending wire. the guage goes off of resisantce to the reoast(gas tank sensor) so if you have more than avergae reistance it will cuase funky readings...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode