May have a free donor truck need info fast? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

May have a free donor truck need info fast?

Hello,
A guy at work is looking for a newer truck and has a early 80's short be that he may put a "free to good home" sign on. According to his "boasting" it has front lmtd slip, is bullet proof and can "climb 45 degrees like they were flat". Clearly this is "embelishment" at its finest. He does however drive it to work every day so every thing works, apparently.

My questons are many.
1) Should I just grab it and figure it out as I go? My guess is YES!!! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
2) Did Ford offer a factory lmtd slip front end?
3) How can one identify such a unit? Are tags visible on the pumpkin or door jam for the front axle?
4)It is definately a V8, like mine, but unsure if it's a 351. I have an '87 FI 5.0 4spd granny, which of the two is more deserving of my hard to come by and severly limited disposable income?
5) My current ride is a 95 ext cab, long bed,4X4 off road pkg with a 5-spd and Pirelli 235 "Scorpion AT" tires. I ran them on my 2WD but only had 5K miles on them and I couldn't just chuck'em when I bought this truck; they should prove decent winter tire on stock rims.

What upgrades would be best worth my time and money should I plan to mostly do the following:
a)light new england state forrest fire roads w/ over enthusiastic light off roading and our new england winters.
b)some camping and fishing with the kids and co-workers; cold beers and nature, not at all hard core.
c) What pisses me off the most is that I traded my '98 Cobra in on my truck! Many reasons caused this decision but if I expected him to walk away from his truck I would have kept my car! I have no regrets on my decision, until now anyway. Hindsight, always 20/20 as they say.[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

I guess I'm wondering what is worth while and what would be a waste of money (over kill for my needs) based on the above info.

I know it's a big post and wandered a bit off target but any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for your time and consideration!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Re: May have a free donor truck need info fast?

Hello again,
Sh*t, I already need to clarify; I have two trucks. One I currently drive which is the long bed 4x4 off road... and the older "parts truck". It is a 2wd reg cab long bed 5.0 4 spd Borg Warner "granny tranny", also a 5.0.

I came accross a third; the one in the above post. Hope I avoided confusion, sorry.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 01:02 PM

I only read the first sentence, but I'd say you should grab it no matter what. What is the worse that could happen???

You can find out it is junk and then you could rally it!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

I always find it funny when people ask if they should get a free truck or not... if you have the room, go for it! Junkyards will usually come pick up vehicles free if you later decide you don't need all of it, so why not! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode