Thumbs up / Thumbs down - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thumbs up / Thumbs down

I have an '87 full size Bronco & I've found this forum to be very useful in the past. I get the feeling (based on some of the posts) that the '87 model year is sort of a "BLEEP" child in the Bronco world. Right now it's a stock daily driver in the winter and a weekender the rest of the time. I'd like to keep it but I'm a little concerned that there are a few things about the '87 that keep it from becoming a candidate for anything except a snowplow. I know that it can be rebuilt/enhanced/modified but I don't have six million dollars either. All that being said, I'd like opinions from the members reguarding which model years of the Bronco are the best for projects or just fun to own. Mine is still running fine but starting to rust in all the same places you'd expect. I've done some of the minor maintenace items myself but I'd like to know if I'm going to run into a dead end down the road if I attempt anything major.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 02:10 PM

Re: Thumbs up / Thumbs down

Check out my Superford site . I've hardly spent any money on my rig yet but have done alot of work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 04:24 PM

I think your major issue with this model year is in the front hubs. The whole hub assembly was different for 87 and 88 I think. This makes finding parts harder, and the parts are not interchangeable with all the rest of the years. I don't think this in itself makes it a thumbs down candidate from your perspective as the owner. If I were looking for a Bronco, I would probably shy away from those years due to the hubs. The question I have is can the hub assembly be changed over if one would want to do that, and at what cost/difficulty? If the rest of the truck is solid, and has the 351, I would be thinking of keeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:03 PM

Yeah, i dont think those year truck should be red-flagged as a big NO...they just have their little quirks.

It seems to me that they could be swapped over from that oddball flange style, but youd need to buy the whole assembly, from rotors to lockouts. but i wouldnt do it unless i blew one up and couldnt get another. So far i havent been able to break one, but now that i typed that im sure i will next time i go out [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a whole extra 87 axle setup, which includes axle shafts,rotors, and hat hubs, plus all the bearings and stuff..make me an offer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Shilo

I agree, not much wrong with '87 except the front hubs.

And my opinion has always been that '90 is the best year to build. I was lucky, my '90 came with a manual t-case already. I had to swap the auto hubs to manuals. '90 was the first year of the E4OD, which I still like for highway purposes (but I admit even I am planning a C6 swap, but only in tandem with a big-block). '90 received the sliding front bucket seats (handy) and an improved spare tire carrier design. '90 did NOT receive 4WABS (thank god) and the VSS is still in the t-case, making potential rear axle swaps easier.

And yeah, '91 would be just as good but I've heard of several '91's not producing codes when they should.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:05 PM

i really liked my 89.
351W fuel inected, good front hubs, sliding seats, and factory C6. to bad it burned. its transmission is going into my 92 eventually.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the info. I've seen some posts about the hubs before but mine seem to be doing OK. The greatest thing about this forum is that any problem that a reader might encounter has almost always been delt with by one of the active members or a visitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode