Project Cheap Shocks is a success! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Project Cheap Shocks is a success!

For those that don't buy into the hype that you need a badass shock just because you're lifted, this is for you! I, being king cheapass, have been doing some research on this and have found some quite long shocks with just as much travel as my Rancho 5k's, but for $17 each rather than the $40+ for the Ranchos! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I saw that O'reilly carries all the Monroe shocks, so I just picked the 2nd cheapest one since the specs for it are on Monroe's page, which happen to be the Monro-Matic Plus line. They have tons of listings, and I went through and found the perfect matches for my truck given where it sits at resting height and how much travel they have. Here are the ones I went with:
Front: 32303 13.875/23.750" - 9.875" travel
Rear: 32238 15.375/26.375" - 11" travel

I just gave the guy at O'reilly these #'s and he had all 4 in stock [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The distances I measured when truck is at rest are 17.75" for the front (radius arm shock) and 22" for the rear, so these shocks give me plenty of room in either direction [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For comparison, my Rancho 5k's were:
Front: 5115 12.875/20.75 - 7.875" travel
Rear: 5112 16.00/26.25 - 10.25" travel

Here's the PDF with the specs for all their lines:
http://www.monroe.com/pdf/ShockAbsor...sionCharts.pdf

Here's the product listing for this model:
<iframe src="http://www.monroe.com/products/mp_detail.asp?cat=Monro-Matic%20Plus&amp;detail=Truck%20Shock%20Absorbers" width=710 height=600></iframe>

As you can see, they are nitro charged and have a dust shield built in like OE instead of the boots. I like that as the boots are known to hold crap in and running without anything risks damage to the rod, so this is a good compromise. They clash with my red (well, pink actually... thanks Skyjackoff) springs but I like the blue enough that I think I'll take the coils off and paint them the same deep blue [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] The main tube is smaller than the Rancho's and these have a more cheap feel them, but I took my test drive and they seem fine to me. If they wear out.... 2 nuts and 15 minutes and I'm back from O'reilly with new ones [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

There was some discussion on the other shock thread about which front shock mount will give you more travel. With a stock radius arm the front shock is about 26" from the pivot point whereas the rear one is 18". This means that the front one would have to travel roughly 14.25" to keep up with the travel of this rear shock's 9.875" travel. It would be difficult to find a shock that meets that requirement, even being 2" longer to start with. Obviously these are extremes and it's probably a moot point on the TTB anyway, but something to think about.

My final word is that these don't seem to be any worse or better than the Rancho's originally were, which is what I expected. They seem to soak up stuff in the front better but it's really hard to say because my top is flopping around now since I don't have any of the "main" bolts holding it in. Speaking of which, I will hijack my own thread and ask what size/thread those bolts are that hold down the very rear and the 2 about halfway up the top that thread into the body. I bought all new speed clips and hex bolts thinking that would be enough, but nope now my widow pushes the top up about 1/8" when I close it, which of course squeaks like a mofo [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

the end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 PM

Re: Project Cheap Shocks is a success!

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

die expensive @$$ Rancho's die! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 12:30 AM

I believe Monroe owns Rancho. Coincidince? I think not. Congrats on home work and application well done! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 10:54 AM

Sounds like a truly cheap and good score, these also match the specs on your ride height better.

You must be running your stock arms? I missed that on your first post. You do get a much different swing than we with extended arms get. When I was disccussing this, I was assuming extended radius arms, and that we all had that rearmost shock mounted pretty much in the same location...right behind the coil, and a full 30" from the pivot. I can see where yours does make a difference, 18 vs. 26", on an extended arm it's 30" vs. 38".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 11:14 AM

Good work <font color="blue">Muddy</font color>!

There really is no reason to buy expensive/performance shocks unless you are cycling the suspension hard for hours at a time, or jumping.

I too have fallen into the marketing trap and spent way too much $$$ on shocks - first a set of RS9000's, then a set of Bilstein 5100's. The Bilsteins are great, but they're waaaaay overkill for my daily driver. If/when I ever need another set, I'm going your/Steve's route.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Shilo

My Rancho 5010s were way too soft for the front of my Bronco and are WAY too soft for the rear of my rig. I've got some Bilstein 5100s on order. If I could find cheap shocks in longer lengths and actually get some info on the valving, I'd gladly do it. But I don't want to dump even $17 per shock for an R5k equivalent that's still gonna be too soft.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 12:20 PM

<font color="blue">Shilo</font color>-
Ever run Bilsteins before? They're fawkin' badazz...you're gonna love 'em. Body roll and bouncy front end go bye-bye. Fronts are valved perfectly. Rears I found a little stiff with add-a-leafs, so I pulled the add-a-leaf and flipped the bottom leaf over to soften up the pack and let the shock do it's thing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 01:47 PM

MuddyBronco

Good work on the shock deal, I love getting something just as good for less !!!

In answer to your hard top bolt question, they are M6 X 1 metric threads and the bolts have come out with an 8mm socket. This can be a problem because you usually have to work in 1/4" drive, but I bought a special (hard to find) 3/8" drive 8mm socket and it makes live a whole lot easier.

Good luck finding that metric size at a fastening place, you'll probably have to hit a yard (like I did) or bend over the Ford parts counter.

Sixlitre
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Shilo

No, I haven't but I hope they work well. I got a new part # for the 5100s, they're valved at 243/69 but he said they actually end up stiffer than a 255/70 'cause they use a different diameter piston...........so the #'s on paper are deceiving. He said they'd have better initial control and be approx 20-30% stiffer than other 5100s.

We'll see. These will go up front and I'm gonna move the Rancho 9010s to the rear and probably crank them up to 5.

I called Rancho for valving info and to see if they would have any other part #'s that might work for me. As for valving, they told me there was limited information they could release, like it was the Colonel's secret chicken recipe. Ok, whatever. Then they basically told me they've got the 5000s or the 9000s. They said the 5000s were the "middle" setting of the 9000s. Lots of choices. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 04:34 PM

You could even throw one more variable in...new 9000's with the 9 stage valving. I had swapped my rears to the front, and now run those single at 4. I bought new 9000's for the rear, and had to take what I thought was the gimmiky 9 adjustments, covering the same valving range. But I think I was wrong on that. The old 5 setting I don't think corresponds to the 9, but more like the 7 or perhaps 8 setting, so it actually seems to give more range to the valving.

Still expensive no matter how you slice. Wouldn't pay that much if it wasn't for the adjustability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode