front wheel bearings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 06:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

front wheel bearings

I want to repack the front wheel bearings on my 94 Bronco. I've got a Chilton's book but know you can get into trouble by just going by the book. ( ex. owners manual says put in 5 qts. motor oil instead of the correct 6 qts. ) My goal is to get the correct procedure and the right tools so I don't get stranded in the middle of the tear down.... ( long walk to the parts store ) Does anybody know of a good website I can get the info or care to give me the knowledge of their experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:17 PM

Re: front wheel bearings

Fullsizebronco has a writeup on doing the wheel bearings. Lots of past posts here, but basically...oh, let me first mention, my manual also states that, but it makes it clear 5 qts for motor, plus another quart IF you have changed the filter as well. I guess there are still people out there that change the oil but not the filter every time? Anyway on to bearings:

I am assuming manual hubs.
take out screws holding manual hub dials on.
First tool you need is a small steel hook (like a dental probe basically), and small screwdriver to pull the outer snapring that holds the hub innards inside the hub. let us know if you need a pic of any of this.

next tool is snapring pliers to pull the axleshaft end snapring, also holding the hub innards.

Now pull the hub innards out. It is often helpful to take two of the hub dial screws and thread them back in here, and pull straight out holding onto those screws.

now you can see down into the hub. Next three items to come out are the outer spindle nut, washer/retainer, and inner spindle nut (bearing retainer). These nuts require a Spindle Nut tool, which is basically a very large socket with 4 "teeth" on the end, Powerbuilt part number 648473 (4 lug x 2-3/8" outer). The outer one is generally torqued down to between 160-200lbft of torque. Inner one is more critical. When you reassemble, the inner one also is used to properly seat the bearings. so when you reverse this procedure to reassemble, you will put the entire hub back on the spindle, then put the inner nut on, and tighten to 70lbft, while rotating the hub back and forth (also make sure everything is seated properly). This seats the bearings. then, back off the nut 90 degrees, retighten to 15lbft. This is dependent on the washer, which goes on next, as one of the washer holes must align with the dowel that is in the inner spindle nut.

That's it, as mentioned, install in reverse order of removal. It is wise until you really see/know these parts to line them up as you pull them out. The two spindle nuts are different, for example.

get a can of brake cleaner and a coffee can so you can clean the bearings real good. Inspect the races, if they look good, do not attempt to remove them. Clean out the whole inner hub as well. You should also purchase an inner hub/bearing seal. As I recall, in order to get the inner bearing out, you will need to pull this seal. Napa will have it as well, Chicago Rawhide, don't know part number.

I would recommend a synthetic grease for this service. If you end up replacing the bearings, you must do the races as well, and don't skimp on these, buy the best. We have debated how much grease to use, so whatever your preference is. I only use enough to pack the bearings well, and then put some around them for pickup. I don't use a ton of grease. Don't use a bunch of grease out at the hub dials either. One other suggestion is to inspect/regrease the spindle bearing as well since you have it this torn down. If you want the further procedure/tools for that, let us know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 04:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm glad I asked. Some really good info and link there you set me up with....... Where can I find a dental tool? Would a ice pick or metal scribe work?
I have the automatic locking hubs. Noticed you changed your 95 to manual. Is that because of dependability reasons?.... What's a good brand of manual hubs?.... Hard to change over?........................ Do you know of any website I can get info on removing the auto locking hubs and brake caliper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 10:40 AM

The auto hubs were total junk on mine. Think mine died two or three times before I finally switched. I didn't switch over right away, because this was back when these were under the warranty. They would go out right when I needed them in 4WD of course. It is not difficult to switch over. The main brands of manual hubs are Warn, Milemarker(Selectro), and Superwinch. Each also makes a premium and standard. When you purchase the manual hubs, you will need to purchase the changeover kit. This kit is basically the spindle nuts and washer, which you don't have with your auto hubs. so basically you'll be replacing the hub dial and inner hub with the manual version, and then getting the changeover kit for the proper spindle nuts and washer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:04 PM

I'm having a problem finding the right socket for my 96. I have the one with the four prongs from my 86 but that doesn't work for my 96. The 96 just has a big fing nut. Anyone out there with a 96, and maybe a 95, that knows what the right size socket is. Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 08:41 PM

There's no socket for that...it's got flat sides on it - you just have to use a screwdriver and a hammer to loosen it up. Actually, mine was easy to turn with a screwdriver on the flat, just tapped with my hand and it came loose.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 01:32 AM

I actually have one and I used it successfully once. It has really thin walls so it fits in the hub ok. The main problem is it is a 1" drive and I have to get an adapter so I can use my 3/4. Actually the main problem was when I tried to take the front hubs off this weekend and the socket was a bit too big and started stripping them. Was looking for a little smaller one but I think I'm just going to make this one a bit smaller with a little persuasion, ie big hammer.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anybody know of a good and cheap place to get Warn manual hubs and changeover kit?...... Figure while I have it torn down might as well replace the hubs..... Is there anything else one has to do when switching from auto lock hubs to manual besides getting the changeover kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode