460 fuel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

460 fuel

Alright, I'm getting my ducks in a row to begin my 460 swap and then I realize I haven't thought about one whole aspect: fuel delivery. What am I looking at since I'm going from an '88 fuel injected 302 to a carbed '76 460. I know someone's about to tell me that I'm going to be dropping my tank, but go ahead and give me the skinny. I need to know now before I jump off into this project. I have the 460 running right now in the lincoln town car it's coming from so I can take anything from the car that I need. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:42 PM

Re: 460 fuel

Since you already have the electric fuel pump I'd just run that with an aftermarket fuel regulator and attach the return line to that. set the pressure at about 4 lbs (you'll need a pressure guage on the line too) and you will be set. All that will be left is to get a blockoff for the mechanical pump.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 02:50 PM

You might be able to do that, remember you have 2 fuel pumps, one intank and one on the frame rail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

So all I need is to buy one of those fancy-smancy pressure regulators that has a gauge? Keewl! I just knew someone was going to tell me something about changing out pumps or something. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] I'm already paranoid that I'm going to have 2 of my 3 vehicles half apart and hit a road block that takes me a week to figure out. Thanks, Norm. I'll reply all my carb questions back to this post. Cross some fingers for me! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Actually, I'm pretty stoked about this swap. I have a hard time keeping my mind on the task at hand. I keep daydreaming about things I'm going to do after I get the motor/trans done. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] Thanks again.
-Scott

I just noticed your reply, Bucknbronc. Yeah, I knew there was the in-tank one and the one on the frame rail. That's why I thought someone was going to tell me I needed to drop the tank; to take that one out. Anyway, I'm still getting components together and haven't begun the swap yet, but we're talking days. When I actually have my hands dirty, if I can't figure it all out, fear not, I'll be aggrevating the piss outta you guys! Thanks again.
-Scott
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 03:30 PM

What tranny you going to run? Also I'll take the 5-0/tranny, and Norm will and take the fuel injection/computer off your hands. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm going with a C6 fron a '79 bronco with the 400 that a buddy has. It will bolt up and will only need torque convertor and a new flywheel for a '76 460.

As for my modified 5.0, whoever ends up with it NEEDS MAF! In my even greater than now ignorance of last year, I modified it beyond the speed density's capabilities. I've had to deal with a rich condition the whole time. I was about to get everything together for the MAF when my dad plopped the '76 lincoln towncar with the 460 in my lap and the rest is well...obvious! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I wish I had another vehicle to drive so I could really take my time with this swap. I had planned to get the 460 all built up and then swap, but I'm tired of cleaning up after the rich condition of the 302 so I'm doing the swap while I have the blessing of the wife. THEN, when the 460 shows signs of needing that rebuild...I'll HAVE to do it, honey! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Sometimes it better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Enuff for now.
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode