hey, im happy! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

hey, im happy!

yesterday i was bored, so i took out my auto hubs (they dont work), and i was wondering, what if..., and i did something, i remove some parts of the auto hub and now i have 4wd, (yeah i know, its not suposse to be a greath deal but...) the hub are now locked all the time, today i went to property that have some dirt mountains and yes i was 4 wheling! first time it works since i bought my bronco 95, but now i have some doubts...

i afraid to leave the hubs locked all the time, the transfer case will be runing all the time and i guess thats not good, but then i thoug, mmmmmm jeeps dont use hubs, i guess its not that bad, is it?

should i keep it like that?
which are the pros and cons.... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:58 PM

Re: hey, im happy!

The transfer case will only be active when the 4WD button/stick is selected by you in the cab. You can leave the hubs locked in 2WD and not engage the transfer case.

With the hubs locked your front axles will spin with the wheels, but the transfer case is not affected. The drawback is a very slight gas mileage loss due to the increased friction of turning the axles, probably less than .5 mpg (sorry, American figures).

It is common for some guys to leave the hubs locked all winter long. No problem.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

that means that theres no problem to leave them locked? anyway is just for a while...

by the way today i was testing the flexing, it was really good, but now im feeling kinda paranoic, i hearing noises all over the truck, but i dont know if is really the truck or is just me, is there something i should check after off roading? (pics would help...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:20 PM

Leave them locked...no problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

jeeps don't have lockouts, but they do have a CAD that keeps the driveshaft from spinning all the time. some sources say it's good to run with the hubs locked on the highway now and then to keep the ujoints greased, so you might be doing your truck some good by doing this. as long as you don't get any new vibrations due to worn parts, go for it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:40 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
jeeps don't have lockouts, but they do have a CAD that

[/ QUOTE ]
not the newer TJ's and XJ's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

... it's a jeep thing, i wouldn't understand [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 09:52 PM

The problem with leaving them locked is this: When you make a full lock turn you will bind the axle(s). The rolling tire will force the ujoint to try and turn and can break the hubs or worse the joints. When the truck is in 4x4 both the wheel and the tire are trying to tuen the joint so the pressure is spread out a bit. This I have seen on a new F350 at Ford so this is not BS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode