What kit? Opinions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

What kit? Opinions...

I have owned my 91 F250 for about 6 years now and have been content to leave it stock. It used to haul my cab over camper and bike trailer so it was not practical to modify it. I sold the camper (it was old and leaky) and am now harboring evil thoughts. It just looks so sad sitting on those 33"s all low and stock. It needs some lift. But how much? 4" ? 6" ? I plan on leaving the 33's on until they wear out then go to 35's or 36's. I only want to do this once. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is 6" too much? What manufacturers should I be looking at? I don't want to do an axel swap. I thought about that but I just want to keep whats under there now as I don't want a pile of TTB stuff on the side of my house. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 11:53 PM

Re: What kit? Opinions...

You need to decide what you want it to do. Cepek 4" lift & 35" TSL's is a good balance. Less potential driveline problems than with the 6" lift, and the 35's are easier on axles. But again, depends on what you want to do with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don't want a pile of TTB stuff on the side of my house

[/ QUOTE ]
no worries, send it to Shilo and he'll make art out of it [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

personally I think stock trucks look pretty good on 33's, and they look silly with any kind of lift. Then again, I thought my 6" lifted truck looked better on 33's than it does on the 35's... they need to be a couple inches wider to really look right. BurnedBronco, Shovel, and a couple other guys here have run 35x or 36x14.5" tires and they look good under 6" lift, but you'll need to do a little trimming up front to avoid possible rubbing. I would not recommend anything over 33" with stock gears unless you have 4.1's, however.

i know you say you don't want to do an axle swap, but I just noticed you have an f250, which will allow you to bolt in an 87-97 Dana 60 solid axle with ease. This would definitely be the smart thing to do, especially since a quality ttb lift kit will end up costing more than the dana 60 axle, which is bulletproof and will drive like a dream compared to the sketchy lifted TTB. I wish somebody would've smacked me with a dose of reality before I ordered my ttb lift, it would've saved me a ton of time and money in the end. It's way easier for you and you already have 8 lug wheels so I think you should definitely reconsider the solid axle swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:06 PM

Nobody could have smacked you straight at the time Muddy. If you've owned your truck as long as I, you know that although SAS is nothing new, not hardly anyone (no one I knew) was doing this to the Bronco (or any other Ford Truck with TTB) at the time (though I know some who I'm sure had the plans brewing in their mind). It just wasn't happening, so there was no one to smack me straight on this.

In any case, that was then. I agree with both of your responses. If SAS is not an option, 35's/36's and 4" lift with an F250 will work great. might think of gear swap of course, depending on intended use. Word of caution on that course though. As we all know, once you have it, you love it, and comes a time you want more...and then maybe more...

Which leads us to why Muddy's direction makes a lot of sense in your case. You can only do so much to these trucks with the stock front. So, your direction of 35's/36's would have to be about it unless you went solid D60 axle right away. That's a bit simpler for you, having a 3/4 T.

Perhaps the out of the box lift is all that your looking for, in which case my vote is a 4" Rancho Lift. I think your truck already sits a bit taller than the Bronco.

By the way....See you at Tillamook State Forest, you're welcome to join 2BigBroncos Northwest Chapter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:12 PM

I agree with these guys. Go for the D60 SAS. The solid axle and some lift leafs will swap right in I believe. Or you can put a little more work into it and a little less money and reuse your stock leafs and move the shackles to the rear of the leaf. Doing this can yield you between 4-6" of lift which is plenty enough for 35s. Check out Shilo's superford site and you will see what I'm talking about. If you insist on lifting the twin trash beam then 4-6" will be fine. I'll recomend 6" because if you are like most of us inchitis will set in and the 35's will start looking small. lol.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Shilo

That's funny Muddy, I was gonna tell him I'd take his old TTB LOL. U beat me to it!

Superford apparently lost any pics I've uploaded this month, my "art" pics are gone! I'll have to re-load..... just for Juice of course
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah... out of the box is kinda appealing to me. This is not my wheelin truck. I have my toyota for that. I think I just want to wrench on the Ford this time. There is another F250 down the street from me and I just like the way it looks. I think its a 4 inch kit on it. I just want to get my body up off the tires some. Of course once I get a little more clearance I may find myself wheelin this truck a little more. Hell I've only put it in 4 wheel drive twice in the last two years. The last was to pull my buddys suburban and car trailer out of the holes he had dug at Sand Lake. That pissed off more than a few Chevy boys out there. LOL I'm afraid to ask what a D60 will cost though. And what surprises will I encounter. I'm not afraid of doing it, I love to wrench as much as the next guy. I just don't have the time to go hunting for an axel right now. I can get a bolt on kit delivered to my door.
And while I'm on the subject, where are all the good parts yards in Portland. I have not been up here all that long so my network is a little small.
Thanks to all who shared their insight...I lurk over here from time to time but with my renewed interest in my BIG truck you will almost certainly get more questions from me.
Jeff
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 AM

In all honesty I think the D60 swap using lift leafs will be alot easier than doing the TTB. It's practically bolt up. In fact I think it will bolt strait up. You will want to go at least 6" to clear the xmember though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Mud in my Veins

The balljoint d60's usually hover around $1000, while kingpin models are more like $1500 if they don't need work. This varies widely, local prices could be half this if the guy doesn't know what it's worth, but these prices are typical of what I see on eBay and local wheelers that know what they have. Here's <a href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2434200023&amp;cat egory=33731>one on eBay now</a>, kingpin model from a 90 f350. Since you have the D50ttb already, you can actually get a better deal by finding a dually front axle and swapping your D50 hubs onto it. They are usually quite a bit cheaper because wheelers know they have to deal with this and buy new hubs. I just looked briefly and a TTB 4" kit is around $700 base price, which doesn't include shocks, pitman arm, brake lines, or shipping. You would probably end up spending more on the axle swap but I guess it really depends whether you factor in premature tire wear and weekly visits to the local alignment tech [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, btw, you don't need any lift to clear a 87-97 D60 since the diff is offset to the left so far... remember it was a factory option on these trucks so only the older d60's or D44 with more centered diff will need 6"+ lift to clear the ttb xmember.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 04:52 PM

Not much in the way of junkyards around here. I have not been real excited about any of them. The pull a parts are ok, but the chance of finding the D60 you want there..... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Shilo, artwork pics, no need to repost for me, I just go over and lurk on FSB and see your posts, with your TTB art avatar.

Please don't tell me they dumped a bunch of pics again.... [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode