ABS light on/off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

ABS light on/off

Alright I have a problem that I hope you guys can help me out on. Here's a little back story. Acouple weeks ago my front brakes started squeaking. I let it go for a while until my abs light started coming on and off every once in a while. So I put new pads on and completely bled the brakes. When I bled them I completely drained all the fluid so there was just air in the system so I could get all new fluid in them. Was this a stupid thing to do? Alright back to the main question. After everything was back together the abs light was off and stayed off for a week or so. Then it would come on at start up once out of every ten starts, but all I had to do was turn it off and back on and it would stay off. Well now its doing it more frequently and has turned on acouple times when I'm driving the truck, not just at start up. Twice at a drive thru and once today when I was dropping someone off. All three times I was sitting there idling for a minute or so and then once I started moving it turned on. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
96 XLT 351
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Re: ABS light on/off

You're better off flushing the brake fluid, rather than letting it run dry. But, too late. You most likely have air trapped in the system. Bleed well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
When I bled them I completely drained all the fluid so there was just air in the system so I could get all new fluid in them. Was this a stupid thing to do?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. but as stated too late. I'd go and buy a whole bottle of brake fluid and open all your caps and let it gravity bleed with the master cylinder cover off. Add the fluid as needed and don't let it suck air again or you will have to start all over. This should do the trick but you can bleed them with a friend after you are done to be doubly sure. Good luck. And don't sweat it. If I posted all my goof ups I'd have you all laughing your asses off at me. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Take Care! NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I knew it was stupid but I did it anyway. I'm pretty sure I don't have any air and doubt that would be the problem cause the light was coming on before I bled them. Would be nice if it was something that simple but I doubt it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:25 PM

Light may have come on before bleeding/replacing pads due to low fluid in the reservoir. May be coming on now due to trapped air, or another issue.

I didn't mention in my first post, but BE CAREFUL if you're driving it. You don't want to loose brakes on the road while you're trying to figure out the problem.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I really don't think that there is air in the system. And there was plenty of fluid in the master before I bled them. My dad worked the pedal and kept the fluid full and I was under the truck opening and closing the calipers. Did all 4 corners until there was no bubbles and used a bottle and a quarter. It probably not a bad idea to check them again though. Just wondering if there is anything else it could be. Another symptom I found was sometimes I would start it up with my foot on the brake pedal and would feel a thump right before the abs light would go off. Thought that was part of a check and normal so I stopped doing it.
And ya I am still driving it and thanks for the jinx. I keep my foot real close the the e brake lately.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:32 PM

I have felt that little pulse on the pedal at start up as well. I would not think anything of it.

My suggestion is at the sensors themselves. If you'ver ever had your front hubs apart, you can easily see the magnetic pickup and the toner rings on both front hubs, check those and make sure nothing looks wrong there. Also, check the wiring leading to these. It is usually routed right next to your brake lines. On the rear, the sensor is located at the top of the diff carrier. Have you changed the rear axle fluid lately? it takes the "tone" from the ring located on the carrier. It's been discussed before that it's possible to collect metal on the picup and that could send strange signals.

By the intermittent nature of your problem, I am thinking along these lines.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

It's my understanding that OBD2 will spit out ABS codes in addition to engine codes, perhaps it's time to Step into Da Zone and have them pulled?

also make sure that your mc is still topped off as low fluid will trigger the abs light.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Juice I'll have to check all that. Your suggestions seem like more of the line of things that it could be. I actually had to get it smogged today and was talking to the guy about it. He ended up having to drive my truck cause when they did the timing check they screwed up and turned on the check engine light and had to drive it around to get all the code right again. Anyway he said after driving it that there was some pulsing in the pedal and he was thinking it might be the abs pump. I don't really think he knew what he was talking about though. I'm going to follow what the juice says and I'll get back to you after I do. Probably do it this weekend. Thanks again to all of you that have helped me out
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Juice I think you were right on once again. I've only driven it the last couple of days but it seems to be running smoother and the abs light hasn't come on yet. I dropped the rear diff cover this weekend and put new oil in it. My truck is acouple hundred miles away from 80k and I never did change the diff oil so I'm glad I did it. I don't know about the first 60k though, that was before I got it but it looked pretty clean so I'm thinking it was. Acouple things though. First I only bought two quarts of gear oil. Put both of them in and when I stuck my finger in there I didn't get any. Was this enough or should I go buy another quart. I'm thinking I probably should. The second is I worked really hard on finding the right gasket for it, two days and 5 different parts shops. Then as I was putting it together I was reading my haynes and they say that you don't use a gasket, just make one with rtv. I had put so much effort getting the right gasket though that I didn't care what the stupid book said and was putting it in there anyway. Bad move or extra protection?
Third have any of you with a 93 up ever tested you abs light. In the haynes it tells you to put a jumper wire between slot e and slot b for 5 seconds after startup and the abs light will start flashing out codes, only problem is it doesn't tell you which one they are. If I remember right there are four wires in that diagnostic port. A black, white, white with light blue, and black with light blue. I was just going to guess the two with light blue but was talked out of frying my abs system. Anyone know which are the right ports?
I couldn't get my front hubs off to check though. Not a problem since I think I fixed it just with the rear. But definitely want to be able to take them off in the future and was wondering how you guys with 95/6 do them. Do you have a socket for them. For those that don't know my 96 has a completely different nut then the rest of the years. Can't use the socket with the four teeth cause its just a big nut. So have any of you guys found the right socket for it and if so where and what size? Also when I get them off I want to put some timken bearings in there based on a recommendation I read on a post here. Anyone have an opinion on these? I haven't been able to find them at any parts stores, have to go to a place that sells industrial bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode