hydraulic clutch woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

hydraulic clutch woes

hello, I have a 1990 ZF tranny out of a F250 and I seem to be having difficulty with the hydraulic cylinder, The rod that applies the hydraulic will only go in half way then stop, which only allows me to push the clutch pedal in half way, This system was applied to a 1992 samurai so maybe the rod is at a bad angle? Or the actual hydraulic is bad? Someone please help as this is the only thing holding me up from driving it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: hydraulic clutch woes

Wait, how the hell did you fit a ZF into a Samurai?! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] The angle is very important, and I was really surprised at how little the rod has to move in order to disengage the clutch on my bro's Bronco2... probably similar to the ZF. Are you sure it's not working and it's just bottoming out? The rod seemed to be almost vertical on his rig, maybe 10 from vertical. What angle do you have on your setup? Can you get a pic of the pedal setup? I would make sure it's not working then go from there... you might be surprised [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I think you hit it dead on, you see I tried to get geometrical with the installation ( should have followed K.I.S.S. method) and put it at a small degree higher then level, I figured from the swing of the pedal it would push it down flush and level but ended up not, so now its as if the pedal goes down half way and the rod stops, I cant even be a little bit forceful to get it in...So maybe its the degree of pitch in the hydraulic rod? Also could we have not bleeded it right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Mud in my Veins

No, if you had air in the line the pedal would just go to the floor without disengaging the clutch, so that's not it. I'm guessing the angle on the rod is wrong, though I could be misleading you with the Bronco 2 clutch info since I think the bigger trucks might have more horizontal cylinders. Have you figured out if the clutch is disengaging properly when the pedal bottoms out?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

the slave cylinder started acting up after extensive use, it wouldnt engage when we pushed the pedal in after a while, I figured it was air in the lines, we got bored and took a look at the stock F250 pedals, we noticed that the clutch pedal itself doesnt get much travel, so I would guess that the travel I am getting is more then likely all Im gonna get, the situation is iffy because we are running a 1975 style pressure plate on a 1989 transmission, It should work considering how much thicker the 75 series were as oppossed to the 89's, maybe Im wrong? at all costs when the slave cylinder was moving it would hit the pressure plate spring arms and just stay there, and my buddy said it looked like it could go a little bit further, thats where my guess at air in the lines came from, I think we will take one more shot at the bleeding the clutch line and then look at what else might be f*cked up [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

update on problem, the throwout bearing will not engage whatsoever at this point, and the fluid leaks out of the fill cap probably due to pressure building up, fluid seems to travel through the slave cylinder when we bled it but maybe the line isnt hooked in good enough? Maybe the hydraulic is bad?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

bump..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode