What front end parts ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:17 PM
fcarruth

What front end parts ?

On my 89, it tends to pull to the right and has been aligned. Would the radius arm bushings or the axle pivot bushings cause this to happen ? I have both but have not made time to replace either. I can hit a small bump and it will, all of a sudden, pull to the left but will eventually go back to pulling to the right. It almost acts like you are actually steering that way. This is driving me crazy so I need some expert opinions. What else could cause this ? The ball joints are OK as well and I just replaced ALL the tie rod assy. from wheel to wheel.

Thanks for any and all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:22 PM

Re: What front end parts ?

I've had the same problem. I go to get it aligned and afterwards my pulls to the left. I took it back and they put it up on the lift and check it again. They keep telling me that its perfectly aligned. I then asked them why would it pull to the left. The guy told me that it was probably memory steer. I asked him what that was and he told me that one of the valves in the power steering pump or steering box was stuck open a little bit causing it to pull constantly (my case), either that or the valves were just slow to close (that would cause it to pull after you got done turning in that direction). This could be the same thing for you, or the guy could be blowing smoke up my ears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:29 PM
fcarruth

You got me. It has pulled so long that I guess it could have screwed up the PS Pump even though I replaced it again earlier in the year. I am taking to a reputable shop in the next week or so to have it looked at.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

Truth be told, there is really no way to accurately align the toe on a TTB front end. For one reason, have you ever noticed how the alignment lifts they use have a built-in jack that lifts the TTB arms from right under the radius arm bolts? This actually puts less pressure on the coils than your tires do and you end up with positive camber which also affects the angle on your steering linkage, as the tires will toe in while they are jacked up like that. Also, because of how FORD designed the linkage, and they really didn't have much choice, the joint where the driver side rod meets the longer passenger rod has to flex in order to let the axle beams move independently up and down. Unfortunately, this slack in the linkage also lets the tires toe in or out at will quite a bit whenever they want to, and also makes the steering feel sloppy. Jack up your driver side beam and try to turn the tire as if you want to steer it. Notice how the tie rod twists and you actually are able to move the tire?! The road surface can also do this when you're driving... very crappy and why I want to get rid of this thing. It's had a pull as long as I can remember and totally new steering linkage and alignment did nothing for it. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
TTB + BFE (or anywhere) = SOL [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Bluebeast

i ahve the lifetime alignment at firestone(dont bust my ba((s) it has paid for itself 4 times over. when they align my truck the put it on a what do u callit one of those lift that lifts the whole truck as if the ground rose up from under it and never took anyweight off of the coils of leafs even though they dont need to align the rear unless its not bolt up strait.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 08:51 AM

axle pivot bushings can cause that to happen, I just discovered yesterday that the axle pivot bushing for my passenger side beam is shot, and I have the exact same symtoms you have
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

Bluebeast, nobody is going to bust your balls over the lifetime alignment, it's probably the only thing worth investing money in on a TTB axle! Sears wanted around $80 to align mine once (6month warranty though i believe) so the extra $40? is a pretty good deal IMO. I know at Sears they have the regular lift that puts the whole vehicle in the air so the tech can stand to work on it, but it also has a built-in hydraulic axle jack up front so that they can get the tires off the lift. I don't know if this is just for checking of worn parts or if they do the whole alignment like that, but even if they put it back down after checking for slack the tires will tend to maintain the position they were in while in the air. I think this is why the old NTB store told me to never bring my truck back there again [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Bluebeast

it wasnt ne busting em about the lifetime it was about firestone because the only good thing that i can say about them is their alignment beacause everything else they do i believe that they are crooks. my .02

but yea the lifetime was worth every penny and i asked the manager at another place if i were to swap front axels and he said they would still honor it(even though you dont need it that much on solid)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:25 AM
Mud in my Veins

i was gonna say they probably wouldn't notice if you swapped axles, but in fact i'm sure they would notice and they'd praise Jesus when they discover that there is no TTB under there! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

seriously, the local NTB told me to never return to that store... that's how bad it must suck to be the alignment tech doing a TTB! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:58 AM

I sure know that it took my guy (at firestone, not by choice - only place open on memorial day) a couple of hours to do mine. It also took him ~4hrs to align (or fix something on the front end) a B2 before me (that was a long day).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode