Brakes Dragging - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brakes Dragging

I need some direction...

My bronco's brakes have been getting soft (at the pedal)and the front brakes are dragging. The hubs are heating up and the fluid color is off. I'm not loosing fluid and no maintenance has taken place.

I have rear drums and I haven't check them to see if they need adjustment - and I haven't bled the lines.

Where to start first.

Thanks in Advance [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:58 PM

Re: Brakes Dragging

check the rears for gear oil on them, or bad adjustment. the front breaks heating up sounds like you are over working them from towing, or the rear brakes not doing there share.
also, repack your wheel bearings if you fear you got the front real hot.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 PM

Burned, I agree he needs to check rears, but it sounds to me like his front caliper(s) (one or both sides) have decided to start sticking and are not fully releasing, creating the drag and heating up the rotors/fluid. Check this first, easy to do. If so, you will need new calipers, and you will need to bleed the break system, so it will be good to know what, if anything also needs doing at the rear. You will need to check the rotors. too much heat and you may warp them. Now will probably be a good time to do the pads of course too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bronco has been sitting for the last couple of years - I've put about 1200 miles on it over the past 3 months.

I haven't been towing anything - just normal driving. I'm leaning towards the calpers - and yes - that would be the easy/simple fix.

I've been told in the past that Bronco(late 80's) brakes tend to stick if they have been sitting for a while. I guess I'll find out and let you know.

Thanks
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well

Replaced the original calipers - bled the lines.

Result - The rotors and hubs are still heating up.

I'm checking the drums next... Dragging was not the problem, so "over worked is probably it.... well see.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Mud in my Veins

I just remembered something... BRONCOMANIA had this very friggin exact problem not too long ago, maybe he has some advice? Try searching for this thread, it got very long as he replaced crap that did nothing to cure the problem. I don't remember what the conclusion was, but it sure pissed him off and cost him some $$!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Veteran

yeah and he`s still pissed off!!!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

as of last week, my brakes on initial application, are pulling to the right , then to the left....

my patience with the broncos TTB wandering and its insufficient brake system is got me to the point (i hate to say) i have got to find a safer vehicle for daily commutes and leave this thing for off-roading, where it wont *hopefully* hit anyone head-on other than a tree [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
i bought a new 31" pry-bar from sears last week as they had them on a 50% off sale [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] so im gonna recheck all my ball joints as im detecting NO play with the 25" bar.

AMEN Shilo:

TTB blows! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

well enough ranting ---- other than that, its a great truck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well

The next time someone posts about their hubs heating up / brakes dragging etc....Ask them if they have an oil leak etc.....

Like BroncoMania my drums were oiled down - in my case due to a transmission leak.....causing the bronco to over work the front discs...

Thanks... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

check the rears for gear oil on them, or bad adjustment. the front breaks heating up sounds like you are over working them from towing, or the rear brakes not doing there share.
also, repack your wheel bearings if you fear you got the front real hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted by me the day after you posted you problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode