Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Brakes Dragging (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/176770-brakes-dragging.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-17-2003 08:51 PM

Brakes Dragging

I need some direction...

My bronco's brakes have been getting soft (at the pedal)and the front brakes are dragging. The hubs are heating up and the fluid color is off. I'm not loosing fluid and no maintenance has taken place.

I have rear drums and I haven't check them to see if they need adjustment - and I haven't bled the lines.

Where to start first.

Thanks in Advance [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

BurnedBronco 09-17-2003 08:58 PM

Re: Brakes Dragging

check the rears for gear oil on them, or bad adjustment. the front breaks heating up sounds like you are over working them from towing, or the rear brakes not doing there share.
also, repack your wheel bearings if you fear you got the front real hot.

TheJuice 09-18-2003 08:54 PM

Burned, I agree he needs to check rears, but it sounds to me like his front caliper(s) (one or both sides) have decided to start sticking and are not fully releasing, creating the drag and heating up the rotors/fluid. Check this first, easy to do. If so, you will need new calipers, and you will need to bleed the break system, so it will be good to know what, if anything also needs doing at the rear. You will need to check the rotors. too much heat and you may warp them. Now will probably be a good time to do the pads of course too.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-18-2003 09:36 PM

The bronco has been sitting for the last couple of years - I've put about 1200 miles on it over the past 3 months.

I haven't been towing anything - just normal driving. I'm leaning towards the calpers - and yes - that would be the easy/simple fix.

I've been told in the past that Bronco(late 80's) brakes tend to stick if they have been sitting for a while. I guess I'll find out and let you know.

Thanks
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 09-24-2003 05:08 PM

Well

Replaced the original calipers - bled the lines.

Result - The rotors and hubs are still heating up.

I'm checking the drums next... Dragging was not the problem, so "over worked is probably it.... well see.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

muddybronco 09-25-2003 12:15 AM

I just remembered something... BRONCOMANIA had this very friggin exact problem not too long ago, maybe he has some advice? Try searching for this thread, it got very long as he replaced crap that did nothing to cure the problem. I don't remember what the conclusion was, but it sure pissed him off and cost him some $$!

BRONCOMANIA 09-25-2003 07:13 PM

yeah and he`s still pissed off!!!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

as of last week, my brakes on initial application, are pulling to the right , then to the left....

my patience with the broncos TTB wandering and its insufficient brake system is got me to the point (i hate to say) i have got to find a safer vehicle for daily commutes and leave this thing for off-roading, where it wont *hopefully* hit anyone head-on other than a tree [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
i bought a new 31" pry-bar from sears last week as they had them on a 50% off sale [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] so im gonna recheck all my ball joints as im detecting NO play with the 25" bar.

AMEN Shilo:

TTB blows! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

well enough ranting ---- other than that, its a great truck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 09-30-2003 09:11 PM

Well

The next time someone posts about their hubs heating up / brakes dragging etc....Ask them if they have an oil leak etc.....

Like BroncoMania my drums were oiled down - in my case due to a transmission leak.....causing the bronco to over work the front discs...

Thanks... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

BurnedBronco 09-30-2003 09:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

check the rears for gear oil on them, or bad adjustment. the front breaks heating up sounds like you are over working them from towing, or the rear brakes not doing there share.
also, repack your wheel bearings if you fear you got the front real hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted by me the day after you posted you problem.