before I buy 95 F150? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

before I buy 95 F150?

Hello,
First post, please be gentle. I've searched and found some info & pointers; mostly Broco info though. I know that there are many similarities but I do have some follow up questions. Sadly, my '87 F150 has moved on to greener pastures (timing chain) and I feel I must move on.

First, most of what I've found concerning hubs refers to switching from auto to Warn Premium manuals. How about Ford manual hubs? Do most find the need to swap them out for aftermarket pieces? I anticipate mostly light to moderate off-road excursions fishing, hunting and camping so stock may prove adequate; 31X10.5 tires at the most I think.

Second, options include 4X4, off-road package, long bed and extended cab with a 5.0L, 5Spd and a 3.55 lmtd slip. What are the "weak links" in this power train? What are some other things to pay attention too? What are some upgrades that I should immediately consider to this factory set-up?

Third and finally, My '87 2WD had a 5.0L with a Borg-Warner (unsure if it's a T-18 or T-19 but it's one of those trannies with a "granny gear") four speed. It also is a long bed but is a 3.55 one legger. What if anything would you salvage if you were in my position? Storage space may be a concern if that plays into your thoughts. A friend may want the rear end if its free; would it bolt up to his 86 and earlier Bornco without mods? I thought it should but was unsure.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Kill it, grill It and wash it down with a beer!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:41 PM

Re: before I buy 95 F150?

save your old trans, T case, flywheel, and driveshafts if you can...
the stock trans on the 95 leaves things to be desired. so if it did go out you woul dhav eall th eparts to swap in your old trans

good truck. all you need to get warn hubs on it is to buy the new hubs, and someitmes a sindle nut kit. not a big deal.

oh, also consider the limited slip and open diff by now, as they are worn out by usually 75K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input,
I was also thinking about the drivetrain myself and have a follow-on question in that regard:

My old truck is a 2WD so will its tranny, the Borg Warner, fit should the Ford 5spd goes tits up?

I would think that should the Borg Warner be longer is it as simple as a shorter custom drive shaft and it'll all "fit fine"?

You seem to imply that the lmtd slip rear would likely be spent; why? This is a very important feature to me; not many ext cab, long beds with lmtd slip have come my way if you know what I mean. What is available aftermarket to fix/improve this should it be so?

Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:17 PM

Ford's "Crap-Lock" usually only lasts about 50k tops before the clutch packs are totally worn out. Youd either have to get the clutches rebuilt, or get a different LS unit installed. Me personally, id ditch the stock unit altogether and go with something else thats a little more durable.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Okay, will there be some noise or other audible/visible indication to let me know if it's crap? If I stand on it in the dirt will it still leave two marks?

What manufacturer makes solid replacement unit? is this a job a basic backyard kinda guy can attempt?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 08:36 PM

Find some loose sand, gravel, mud, etc, and romp on it! If only one tires spins, then its shot! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Replacing a LS unit is probably not something the average backyard mechanic could do. Replacing Clutch-packs maybe (dunno, never tried), but not the whole unit.
there are various companies that make LS units. Detroit makes a good one that doesnt use clutchpacks. There are five or so companies that i know of, but for the life of me, all i can remember is Detroit and Auburn.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Hello,
Bought it today anyway. I tried it and everything looks okay to me; I am however far from an expert on these. Two marks and away we go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode