Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Wheel balancers? (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/176715-wheel-balancers.html)

Blown 09-17-2003 11:12 AM

Wheel balancers?

Centramatic is advertised at the top of this page. They sound interesting. Called em, $200 for a set, anyone tried them????? They might be worth the price for a better ride and longer tire life. They may not have enough weight to balance a large tire without it being partially balanced. May take away the vibes of large tires. They would balance on the vehicle so would balance all, not just the tire and rim. They would balance for stuff your tires picked-up on the trail.
Balancing on my mind since Discount just replaced two of my new MTR's (out of round, out of balance, and each needed over 16oz of weight to get them close to balanced). Discounts deciding factor was the fact that both tires did not run round without a wobble to the side. Techs should have caught that when they mounted them. I bought 6 of them months ago and was just now rotating the two new ones in. I thought I had seen that anything over 16 oz. on a new tire was defective???

BurnedBronco 09-17-2003 01:20 PM

Re: Wheel balancers?

you just cant go by 16 ounce is defective.
the larger the tire and the smaller the rim, is always going to take more weight to balance. the 37" tire on the 15" rim is using much more leverage from the outside of the tread to the rim than a 31" tire would. that means more weight to gewt it in spec.

big tires arent going to be perfect, your gonna have to learn to deal with it i think. if you step up in rim size it will help it some also.
ive put over 2 lbs on each of 4 brand new 33" swampers i was balancing for a guy....

muddybronco 09-17-2003 05:52 PM

Nope, not me, but there are several threads on this BBS, tons on POR, and one nice one on usa6x6forums.com that have users listing their experiences. Most of them were quite positive, but Zach is right, i wouldn't expect a 13" diameter disc to do much for a 44" diameter tire [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Ideally your balancing system will be as close to the tire tread as possible, which is where the injected type systems come into play. Equal "powder", BBs, golf balls, etc etc... they all ride on the back side of the tread and supposedly do a very good job of balancing. Check the <a href=http://www.imiproducts.com/imi_htmlcode/imi_frame/imi_fs_equa.html>Equal site</a> for more info on it... the Centramatic discs are easier but a powder system would probably be more useful. Both have their drawbacks off road, as the Equal will come out of the valve stem when airing down, and mud can get trapped behind those bolt on discs. Definitely dig up the threads on POR and usa6x6... lots of info!

Blown 09-18-2003 08:43 AM

Thanks dudes! Balance is not a major issue, but I'll check out the sites and keep in mind that out of round is more important than the amount of weight to balance. The defective tires had that side wobble and man could you feel that up at speed, 40 mph or more. At 70 it was crazy shaking, Probably not good on the axel. The new tires are much better! I like the idea of BB's, cheap!

Blown 09-23-2003 03:49 PM

I ordered a set of centramatics, $208.50 with shipping. They have a 30 day refund. I don't believe they would be enough, by themselves, to balance a large tire. The set weighs 10 lbs., so couldn't be much more than 2 lbs. of adjusting weight in each. Discount has my 37X12.5 MT/R's close to balanced. The centramatics should do the rest and balance the whole turning assembly, not just the tires and rims. Maybe I'm going soft. I'm at least an hour from the good trails in the rockies and want a better ride. I also use this bronc to get to the ski area in the winter (2 hr. drive) I figure they will pay for themselves over time. I should get more mileage out of those expensive tires and less wear on the bearings. I also got a big paycheck, so I figured I'd blow some on my favorite thing. These would be low on the prioity list but everthing else is working fine on my bronc.
I've also ordered a set of the Velvet Ride shackles. I'll report back when I get them installed. The shackles are on sale now for $159 shipped. I will do the centramatics first, then test, then add the shackles. I've read good things about both.

muddybronco 09-23-2003 04:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
These would be low on the prioity list but everthing else is working fine on my bronc

[/ QUOTE ]
wait, you still have the TTB up front, correct? [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

balanced tires should also extend the life of your shocks, so you can use that as an excuse for the balancers as well [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

burntPiston 09-23-2003 04:27 PM

I flipped the shortest leafs over to get a little less jolt from the rear.

Blown 09-24-2003 11:14 AM

Heck Ya Muddy! Thanks for the additional excuse/rational for buying the centramatics. Burntpiston good remark, I may try that too, but I'm gonna lose 1/2" with the velvet ride shackles and don't want to lose any more height.

Blown 09-29-2003 08:45 AM

OK, just a report back. Mounted the centramatics late friday. They work, very smooth down the road at highway speed. This after I found the front passenger tire to be a little out of round and put it up as the spare.

My tires were balanced at the shop before I put the things on. I'm not sure there would be enough weight in the centramatics to balance the tires alone. They weigh about two lbs. in each.