cheap budget lift?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

cheap budget lift??

I was thinkin how to get 2" lift in the front w/o new springs. I saw spacers for 70 bucks, but would a body mount work? Just slip it on the stud under the thing that holds the coil spring down. Think its good/ bad idea.??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:55 PM

Re: cheap budget lift??

i had gotten a price from rough country for some 6" coils for my 80 bronco and they quoted me at 100.00 for them . look around you might be able to find some coils for just alittle more than you would for those coil spacers

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:59 PM

Bad idea...you can safely (being a relative term) get 1" of lift that way using <font color="blue">WD40</font color>'s method - a steel spacer under the coil perch. A polyurethane spacer might work, but probably wouldn't last.

I don't recommend it either way. Lift coils are under $150 new...not bad for better ride, height, and peace of mind I say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I was kinda thinhking it might not work right, but I was bored and brainstorming about trucks. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:08 PM

For the money I don't think you can beat a D44 SAS. Once it's solid it's much easier to move up and down.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:19 PM

That's outta left field <font color="blue">BigNorm</font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:26 PM

Yea, really lift coils, max 2" lift, and an add a leaf or block for the rear. The front you will then have to go and buy the camber/caster bushings, and probably have to crank the full 2.75 degree positive camber correction out of them to get your tires verticle again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 03:49 AM

Yeah I know it's out there but most people went with the kits first then came and realized solid is the way to do it. I was lucky with my kit and was given mine for free. I still thank Todd for that one. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 AM

I'd search for used stuff and go to 4" springs or you'll want more later. Buy stuff from someone who has gone to a solid axel, they value TTB very little. Then do the shackle flip for the rear I went from 2 to 4 and now 6. sold used stuff as I went, but it cost me more over the long haul. Norm brings-up the solid D44 because hindsight is 20/20. If you a getting into serious 4 rated trails and rocks the Solid 44 has it's advantages and is less expensive to set-up if you can do it yourself with buddies. If you want high speed romping the D44 TTB is better.

If you really think a 2" lift will suffice now and into the future, I agree with the guys 2 inch coils, alignment bushings, and maybe an add a leaf in the rear (on the cheap from the junkyard F150 springs are thinner and can be added without getting a harsh ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode