Another trip to exchange shocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Another trip to exchange shocks

Well, I made my 6th trip to O'Reilly's yesterday to exchange my ranch 5k's. I noticed a REAL strong vibration while traveling down the road. So I stopped and checked my tires. While I was checking my front pass. tire I noticed that my shock was loose. I went to tighten it up yesterday and realized that the nut hasn't loosened up, the top rubber bushing "exploded"/"shredded". Well, I was a little irritated then, so I went to take off the shock to change out the bushing. As I was doing so I noticed that the nut was super hard to turn, but I kept at it. Eventually I got it up enough to fit a ratchet on it, and began turning away. Then all of a sudden it let loose! I was like, "Great I stripped the nut out"!!! I was a little mad at this point, THEN I realized that I didn't. Instead of something like that, I twisted the threads off! So I through on my front shocks (dual shock setup) that had been sitting in my house and went to town. I should be getting them in tomorrow.

[crosses fingers] hopefully the will be the right ones.

Also, as I was putting on the front shock, I noticed that the metal sleeve that fits in the bushing is too small for the post. I figured I didn't need it though because the part that the shock fits on isn't threaded. Is this ok/normal, or should I take it back off today when I get the other one on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:29 PM

Re: Another trip to exchange shocks

You don't use the metal sleeve on the post-mount shock.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I was a little worried.

Another stupid question: I was in a little bit of a hurry yesterday to get to town before they closed and I just left the boot off of it. Would you guys recommend me going ahead and putting that back on?

One more thing that popped in my head: My RS5117's have a nut on the bottom of the stem to grab ahold of with a wrench to keep the whole thing from turning. I noticed that my RS5179's do not have that same nut, what's up with that? I had to get some needle nose in there to tighten it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Bluebeast

all the shocks that i have installed on both of my broncos have had those nuts that u are talking about i dont know what to say maybe they forgot them or some dumb thing like that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:42 PM

Another stupid question: Answer, your choice, like to bling bling, put them on.

One more thing that popped in my head: Answer... if you mean the stud end of the shock (vs. the eye end) it should have two bushings, two metal round cups for the bushing, and one nut. Put one bushing below and one above the mount to the coil tower (along with metal cup for each), then screw nut on. the very tip of the stud will have dual flat spots for a small wrench. Screw nut, hold wrench on flat end. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. You should not squash the bushing. It only gets tight enough to lightly compress the bushings against the metal cups. The directions should mention this. If you fear the nut will loosen (has never happened to me), put a dab of locktite blue on the threads.

Anything else popping in your head? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: if you get totally fed up with stud mount shocks take a look at my superford site at a fairly simple conversion to eye mount at the coil tower end.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Juice, maybe I should get my shock boots platinum plated for some extra bling,bling [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I never thought of using that flat part at the top of the stud. How could something so obvious be so oblivious to me?

I went last night to pick up the shock. AND OF COURSE I HAVE TO COME BACK TODAY!! He brought out the box and it was the right shock, but apparently it was a return. It only included the shock, the boot, and the zip tie. It was missing the nut, both rubber bushings, metal sleeve, both "cups", and the handy dandy sticker (I can'ts go with out my stickas, just kidding). Man, that place is really starting to get on my NERVES!!! The guy said that he'd order like five of them and I should be able to get at least one good one outta the bunch. I'm wondering why I haven't gotten a discount on them suckers yet, I mean 7 times is just too many 30mile round trip drives for just a simple shock upgrade.

-sorry I had to rant a little- [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:27 AM

Yea, so I guess you don't have much choice on any other shops? There have to be more around. you never know, the little shop you think is a POS hole in the wall, (no bling bling like 4WPH) could have the PERSON in it that is very knowledgeable, hands on, knows what he/she is talking about, and is willing to spend the time to do it right, at a reasonable price. Hey, I know just the place, too bad it's only a couple thousand miles from you. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I went there because my sis-in-law works there and I thought I could get a discount, well that didn't work out and I was a little pressed for time, so I just ordered from them anyway. The only other shop that I know of that carries rancho (besides 4wp) is in a town 30miles away instead of 15miles away. Looking back, I should have gone with them because everything else I order comes from them, I guess I just had a blonde moment that day (not that I'm blonde, don't get the wrong impression here). Of course now that I have 'em I guess I'm stuck to dealing with their crappy customer service. I tell you what though, if I can help it, I'm not going back there (although my warn premiums have worked out alright).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM

Most chain stores carry Rancho...Pep Boys, Sears, etc...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

That's what o'reilly's is. The only other chain store around is autozone, but they don't carry rancho. And I doubt napa would either, but I might get surprised. Oh well, too late now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode