Need your help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:30 PM
rikeegee

Need your help

Hello everyone. I think i blew out my rear end yesterday. My rear pumpkin leaked fluids in the freeway without me noticing and eventually damaged something. While pulling aside it I hear loud crunching noises every roll. When i put it in drive, it wont move so I know its shot. I can still roll the truck in neutral so I know its not totally locked up.

Here is my question. I need to tow this to the shop which will cost me a bit since its far. How do i disconnect the rear so I can drive it with the front wheels? I am not an expert mechanic so let me know as well if its a bit over my head and I should just pay for the tow.

Appreciate any input you can give.

Thanks,
Ricky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Re: Need your help

There should be just 4 bolts on the back of the drive shaft (I believe these to be 12-put bolt heads) and maybe some on the front (near the t-case). Should be pretty simple to figure out once you get down there to look. Just make sure you lock in the t-case and hubs, that is if the rear tires will turn.

By doing this, depending on what the problem is, you might further break something, so take caution.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:31 PM

<font color="blue">Mateorr</font color> is right. You can pull the rear DS by removing 8 bolts, but that doesn't mean you won't damage your axles/rear-end/housing more by rolling it without the DS, or worse, having it lock-up on you while driving.

Best to have it flat-bedded or trailered to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:35 PM
rikeegee

Thanks for all the advice. I will just have it towed tomorrow morning. Better be safe then more broke!! hehe
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Shilo

If it still rolls in neutral it's not the rear end (most likely).

That'd be the tranny me thinks.

With the tranny in neutral and parking brake set can you detect any play at the rear pinion?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

Your pinion bearings probably starved and nuked the pinion shaft and very likely the housing too. It doesn't matter much if the housing is trashed because it's going to be cheaper to replace the whole rear end rather than have a shop rebuild it if anything in there is busted. Have it towed to your house and go get a new rear, if it is indeed an axle problem and not a t-case or tranny issue. What's probably happening is the pinion is now flopping around due to worn bearings and it's getting cocked when you give it torque, but when you're in neutral the ring gear can still spin it well enough that the truck will still roll at low speeds. Definitely don't try to drive it, no matter where the problem is I don't see how it will be any different with the rear shaft removed. Go ahead and call around to some yards to get prices on 8.8" rear ends... they'll probably be half the price of what the shop will quote to rebuild it, since you'll need gears and probably new bearings throughout. I wish you luck for a cheap diagnosis, though! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:19 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Go ahead and call around to some yards to get prices on 8.8" rear ends

[/ QUOTE ] Pah! Go with a 9" if you have to buy a whole new rear axle anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:03 PM
rikeegee

Now you guys are scaring me. I'm preparing myself on eating cup a soup for the rest of the year.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 PM

as long as you dont have anything other than the stock gears in it you can get a whole rear with the same gearing (3.50 ect) fairly reasonable from a junk yard. i picked up a whole 4x4 for 600.00 for parts so just a rear cant be that bad (on a side note after looking at it it only cost me another hundred to get it on the road ). if you go the new rear way think about what norm siad and upgrade unless this is your daily driver and has to be on the road in a hurry .
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Mud in my Veins

Well now I see he has a Detroit and 4.1's in the 8.8", so lets hope the damage is minimal! Are you sure it's leaking fluid, or is that your best guess? If so, where is it leaking from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode