New tailgate swapped on ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

New tailgate swapped on !

Well I did it ! The new tailgate is on.

Had it shot, with the new passenger fender and under grill piece Thursday night. Took it home friday and started to tear off the old tailgate. Started the re-assembly this morning around 10:00 a.m., finished it around 4:00 p.m.

Only snags were a jury rigged window track stud which had to be replaced and the right striker post had to be loosened and re-aligned. While I was in there I un-seized the driver's side latch mechanism and lubed everything I could lube, repacking the gear teeth and slider bars with synthetic grease.

The center latch mechanism and motor are less than a year old and I replaced the inner and outer window seals new again.

Was able to save all the other rubber stuff and cleaned and treated it to get it supple again (center latch grommet, side end rubbers, bottom of the door glass stop bumpers).

Had to shim the driver's side hinge with one washer to get the body lines right. The outer aluminum trim panel went onto the new gate perfectly. I shot the inside with sound deadening undercoating too.

So happy with the outcome I may just attack the fender and under grill trim pieces tomorrow !

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 07:16 PM

Re: New tailgate swapped on !

Cool man! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I'm jealous, I figure i'm not gonna replace my tail gate until it falls off. (Not long) I need a whole newer one though, Motor siezed up, Track is rusted out, the part that you bolt the window onto both studs are broke, but hey, it's 80* here so who needs a window? maybe after i put my new springs on i'll tackle some of this rust. Naaaaaaaa- [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img].-Bob
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 AM
beerstash

Good job on the tailgate! Where's the pics? Just wondering, did you replace the little panel where the keyhole is at? If so, how thick is the panel? I'm wanting to get rid of my panel and do something else with area. Help is accepted!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I did put the new, painted passenger's fender and under grill piece on the very next day and man do they look good ! Gonna buy two brand new door shells next and transfer all my power window and door stuff into them. I think it was Muddy that side there's no disconnects for the door wiring in either the door or under the dash. Guess I'll solder in some quick disconnects and stagger them so they'll pass through the rubber conduit to the door from the pillar.

All they want for a shell is $168.00 CDN !!!!!!!!!

Beerstash

Do you mean the aluminum trim panel that the key passes through ? Or do you mean the thing the key passes through inside the gate ? I took that whole mechanism apart three years ago and one of those super small springs is still outside on the patio somewhere. Needless to say I've gotta go inside to drop the tailgate glass now. They wanted $225.00 CDN for the new keyed rear gate window operating mechanism.

Sixlitre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:50 AM
beerstash

The trim panel that holds the key.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Beerstash

the trim panel on the back of the gate on an 86 fits over the key cylinder and can be taken off seperately from the key cylinder.

The actual key cylinder actuating mechanism is helding place inside the gate and hooks into the wiring harness in the gate. I took the key cylinder out of the mechanism and put it into the gate, without the mechanism, using just the C-style clip.

Took some polishing compound to the paint on the fender, where yours truly put the just dry fender back into the bubble wrap and gave the fender an artsy design (not intentional) a month back.

Got most of the marks buffed out and sealed it all in for the Winter with a heavy coat of wax. After I'm through putting the doors on next and later new rear quarters I'm going to re-paint the whole truck next year anyway, so the fender will get re-sprayed at that point.

This week I'm getting the truck ready for it's annual rustproofing. Drilled two holes on each inner rear wheelwell last year that gets that stuff into where it does some good(above the rear wheels).

Slickerthanyou

That's a nice problem to have, 80 degree weather, ours has been over for a month and won't be back for another 8 !!!!!!!!!!

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode