Inspection woes. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Inspection woes.

I got my truck back yesterday to find out I have a broken leaf and broken tapered block. I decided to replace the whole spring pack and try to see if I could get 5 leaves instead of 4 for a 1" lift to level the truck out. Napa hooked me up with a shop that does this it cost me $107 a side. I didn't think that was bad. I was going to just get 6" lift from rancho but couldn't talk the wife into the $1400 to get it. She said the only thig that gets 6" is here! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] She left me speachless. Anyhow, My questions are this, Is there any pointers that You all may have when i do this ? I've never done this before and it looks pretty easy, but usually nothing I do is easy. I have new U-bolts, Bushings, springs of course. Should I get New shackels or Is that a bit overboard. i want to do this right the first time. One thing that amazes me is that it passed emission test with no cats and glass pack! The guy who does it couldn't beleive it! I think this proves that the cats are bull- this is 3 years in a row it has passed. Thanks for the input -Bob

Holy sh!t the pic worked! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 08:27 PM

Re: Inspection woes.

does your truck have rust?
if so removing the old leafs could be a real bitch. expect to cut the head and nut end off the bolt and drop the spring pack straight down....
in the rust belts, the bolts rust to the steel bushing sleeves and cant be pounded loose no matter how hard you try if its bad.
do you new leafs have the metal sleeve that fits inside the bushing that the bolt goes into? if not, get those. also new bolts for the leafs.

around here, if its over 7 years old i dont even touch a wrench to the spring bolts, they all get the torch....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, They didn't look that bad but yes, I have alot of rust here in Pennsylvania. My tail gate will attest to that as well as one rear upper shock mount rivet. I am going to soak them all week this week and give it a go on Saturday.

Yes, I have a new sleeves. I think I'll replace all the bushings while I'm there. I really wanted to do Norm's shackel flip but I, I mean we don't have the extra $$$ to get the items for the front right now. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] -Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:38 PM

$107.00 and they even came color-coded for left and right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

So I like to be a little flashy [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

I just thought they should match my front Rancho coil <font color="red"> color </font color> . [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] They are both red now! [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] They won't be red for long though [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]-Bob
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:57 PM

the shackle flip cost me $50 for both spring hangers from a wrecking yard and I thought that was a little steep. The good part was that they got the forklift and lifted it up high which made dissasembly much easier. I lucked out and found one that was bolted on. Those are cool leafs you have there though. The downside to the shackle flip is a reduced departure angle (that is if you've already removed the stock bumper) lol Lift leafs help add more departure angle.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Well me and my son tried to do the spring job but those damn bolts wouldn't break loose [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] of the metal bushing center! I don't have access to a torch so I have to pay the garage this time. I also found a Weld shop to fab me up some tapered spacers for them like Juice's But only 1" higher. That will give me the level look-Bob
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 10:14 PM

sawzall or power grind it then.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm actually looking at a Torch set for $300. That would save me $$$ in the long run. But haven't made a decision yet.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:27 PM

a $300 torch setup isnt much.... seems like an el cheapo, and a real nice torch head is handy if you plan on using it often..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode