Wipers, which are the be all and end all - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Wipers, which are the be all and end all

Years ago our fleet mechanic told me about some great wipers that UAP used to make.

At that time they were still using Ford trucks with windshields just like my 86's and they worked great ! Do you think I can remember what they were called ?!

Does anyone know about these or better (the best) wipers for our square fronted bug catching Broncos ? I ask because it's major bug season up here in my part of Canaja and the windshield carnage is wild ! I've got West Nile all over my windshield every day and night !!

Sixlitre

p.s./
Tomorrow I get my new tailgate shell, passenger's fender and under grill valance back from the paint shop. Saw them in the booth this afternoon and dang they looked good !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 10:42 AM

Re: Wipers, which are the be all and end all

If you don't already have one, you might want to invest in one of those bug shields. I have one on my truck that contours itself to my hood. I didn't know how well it really worked until I rode in a truck (same body style) without one and saw their windshield. Every once in a while I'll have a grass hopper or june bug hit my windshield, but I don't notice any mosquitoes or gnats.

About the wipers. I bought some a walmart a while back that had a lifetime guarantee. You just send 'em in when/if they wear out and they send you replacements. I think you have to pay $2.00 for return shipping, but that's much cheaper than buying another set. Walmart might even swap them out right in the store. But, its just a thought.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:32 PM
broncoman

Pay a descent price and you get a descent wiper is from what I have experienced, not sure any wiper is going to help with the oily mess you get from the bugs. Usually you just end up smearing them over more of your windshield. Guess it depends if your just getting mosquitoes or something more fatter and juicer hitting your windshield [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I'll just stop at a gas station and use their window cleaner if it gets bad and before it get baked on if its summer time.

Those deflectors seems to only protect the lower half of my window as everything gets redirected to the top half. Our profile is pretty brick like as we all know.
Maybe try some of that rain-x stuff so the bug mess can slide right off or at least clean easier!

gl with the tailgate reconstruction.

Some good tips I just found HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 10:46 PM

i just bought my first set of wipers for my truck last week! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I have to say ...get NEW ones, they work alot better than old ones [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Actually, i just bought whatever Napa stocks, but they seem to work good!
Oh, and def. consider a bug shield, mine made a world of a difference. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 AM

Drive around the bugs!, Ha Ha! dont wate your money on silicone wipers. wife had to try them. They don't like working with Rain - X and did not last any longer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Shilo

IME with wipers high price does not always equal high quality. I have yet to find a set that lasts more than 6 months. I now buy the cheapest I can get and replace them often. I've tried Bosch, Anco, and one other I can't remember. They all don't last. It could have to do with our relatively dry climate. I might turn my wipers one once every couple of months (except for winter), so I think they just sit and deform/crack.......then winter rolls around and it's really hard on them.

Nonethless, my advice: get the cheapest you can find and replace often.

I even tried the super duper wonderful lifetime units from JCW. They were ok, but not great.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

My last set of Anco's lasted over 3 years! That is probably because we have mild winters and lots of rain the rest of the year, so they don't get a chance to dry rot. It was this past winter that finally killed them... just like spark plugs, get relatively cheap ones and replace them often [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Veteran

i have yet to find any wipers that get along with rainX, they all chatter after you smear that crap on the windshield. I currently have teflon wipers on, same crap, 6 months later- worthless, even those triple edge wipers everyone was selling a few years back (with a LIFETIME WARRANTY) didnt last much longer, i hope someone here knows a brand that will hold up, im due for a set as i speak...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:50 AM

They're like what $6 or so, I don't usually give this much thought to something like that. From what I gather from the rest of the people here, just put a blindfold on and pick one, because they're all about the same.

Or you could use my method...when trying to decide between the greater of 2 evils, pick the one you've never tried before. Eventually you'll find one that lasts a long time, or you'll convince yourself that it don't matter which one you pick. Either way, you're better off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode