49's on a 78!!!!!!!!!!1 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

49\'s on a 78!!!!!!!!!!1

Went in to get my MT/R's rotated in. I bought six, when they rotated the two new ones in I had bad tires. Rebalance? Try again. 22oz on one 18 on the other and when spinning slight hop and side to side wobble. Discount has ordered me two new ones with little hassle, only the extra time I had to spend with it. (Kids trying to balance them till I get a manager to look at them). I think anything over 16 oz out is a bad tire when new. Glad they are taking care of me. The things shook the whole truck!

I saw a kid there that had ordered in the new superswapper 49! Huge! 164lbs! He has a 78 f150 stock except for 9 inch spring lift, lockers, 4.88s and plan to add 3" body lift and cut fenders to clear them 49's. I don't think he will be able to turn it and the D44 and Ford 9' won't hold-up to them. He needs custom rims with little backspacing and larger axels. He said he used to wheel now he'll just break offroad! [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img] I told him of this site and to sell the D44, 9" before he screwed them up and put the cash towards D60's. I bet he runs them on the stock axels, crazy! Buy the tires first then reverse engineer? It works to get the lift and fender cuts done but he forgot the axels and brakes to handle those 49's. He is currently running 39's and has a very wheelable vehicle. The 49's are goping to ruin it. He does have a car for daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 49\'s on a 78!!!!!!!!!!1

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He does have a car for daily driver.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's a damn good thing too because Interco is saying these new IROK's are softer than their other tires, which coming from them means they are made of molten goo! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That coupled with the very shallow tread (shallower than my bfg's!) leads me to believe they would last less than 5K miles on the street [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Yes, those tires have a split belt or something, that is not right.. I don't think I have more than 8oz on any of mine and they are smooth to 80 mph [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:26 PM
96XL

sounds to me like he has more money than he knows what to do with. although if the axles, brakes etc were built to match ....boy would that be a sweet ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:06 PM

throw some 2 1/2 ton rockwells on there and some 53" military tires and call it a day [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] course you'd prolly need alot more power then...but hey that's what deisels are for [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:12 PM

Stop giving away my plans!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:18 PM

[img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] oops.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:27 AM

That coupled with the very shallow tread (shallower than my bfg's!)

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have some crazy BFG's muddy, I saw a 49" IROK and I thought it had the deepest tread of any tire I've seen, am I nuts? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:11 AM

49's, and what size rims? tires alone were 164lbs?

Don't direct him to D60's. Unless he did some beefing. NO, never mind, that's just not going to hold up. Better to just go D70 or bigger if wheeling.

Oh, I'm with muddy. 16oz is 1 lb, and a ton of weights. I know the bigger you go in tire, the more you tend to need to balance, but, my 35 MTR's...each tire has between 3 and 5 ozs.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:13 AM
Mud in my Veins

moby, I have custom cut my BFG's down to the belts and they have over 2" of tread depth in the center! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

ok, i'm full of crap, my tires are the normal 21/32" tread depth, but I know Interco lists the depth of the 40" IROK's at 19/32"! I'm sorry, but if you make a tire that damn big, give it tractor tire tread cuz they won't do shlt for you on the road anyway! I just looked and the only size with tread deeper than 21/32" is the 49", which is 28/32"... not too shabby [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

there's still no way in hell i'd drive them on the road, though [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:31 AM

moby, I have custom cut my BFG's down to the belts and they have over 2" of tread depth in the center!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow 2 inches, thats crazy [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]. I did not realize the smaller sizes of IROK lost so much tread depth, 19/32 on a 39"? Thats just not right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode