Power Steering Hose - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power Steering Hose

<font color="red">I know, and very well understand, that the power steering pumps in Broncos tend to have a lot of problems! Well, finally the problem hit me and my 89 Bronco. The thing is - determing where the problem in my pump was (in the end) was the most difficult. It seemed that whenever I went to go any where's, I'd have to pop my hood and pour in more power steering fluid each time I drove it. Why? Well, because the leakage was horrible! Outside my house, or any where that I parked for over fifteen minutes, there would be Lake Erie deposited underneath my Bronco... Now, there was something wrong with that. My friends and I put our heads together - and we decided if it wasn't the seal, we would try fluid with "stop leakage" declarations. To our surprise, after 3 days, the leaking lessened - it was no longer a raging torrent. However, the thing is - after replacing the seal, and trying to use fluids that in reality don't work, I was still leaking fluid. Okay, so my big debate starts here - after cleaning off my engine (which was completely drenched in power steering fluid ALL over the place, which made me believe that it burst like a geyser at one point), I figured that the source of the problem might have been the hose. Now, should I replace the hose (which is simple, besides the corroded difficulty of detaching it)? Or should I venture into replacing my entire pump, since it may be in such horrible condition that it'll happen again, no matter what? </font color> [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:46 PM
BoulderBronco7

Re: Power Steering Hose

Replace the hose. No need to replace the pump if it is not bad. The pressure hose will leak many times at the output of the p/s pump. Usually do to a bad O-ring. I would determine where the leak is coming from and why. If it is just the seal then $1 for an O-ring is better than $80 for a new hose.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

Your leak sounds pretty severe, so you should degrease/spray off the fluid then turn on your engine and figure out exactly where it's coming from. If you do replace the hose and you get the kind with the swivel connector, don't go crazy with the wrench as it only takes a little torque to snug it up. One other thing to look for is if the new hose comes with an extra hole, be sure to plug it even though you probably won't get a plug or instructions in the kit. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] For some reason they assume we all have pressure switches on the hose, and 351's don't! Mine was nowhere near $80... more like $25, but Boulder is right, if it's just the o-ring there's no reason to replace the hose right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:57 PM

Chuck it and get youself a Saginaw pump and a Van high pressure line. May as well replace the low-pressure line while youre at it (its only a short piece of rubber hose anyway). Not only will it fix your leak, but itll make controlling/turning those Swampers real easy! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

Oh yeah, I was gonna mention that too... if you end up having to replace the pump, get ahold of Zach and he can get you a saginaw setup pretty cheap [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Rept, is your return line several pieces? Mine is one assembly with the rubber hoses crimped onto the "cooler" hard line. I'm going to rig up a small ATF cooler with custom lines, then I can replace the rubbers without buying the whole wimpy "cooler" assembly from FORD [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:17 PM

I would agree with Steve, Clean it up the find out where it's leaking, If it's leaking that bad then you will be able to tell where it's coming from.-Bob [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 PM

Yes, but the rubber hose had those cheesy clamps at each end holding it in place. i replaced em with hose clamps when i swapped in the Saginaw.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 PM

Do the Saginaw! Burned can get you one delivered cheap. Brackets and all. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Surprisingly, I have heard about the Saginaw pump... Should I just go to a junkyard and get a Saginaw pump from a GM? And custom bracket modifications? But doesn't something like Napa sell a kit for it? It sounds like a good idea and a better solution (especially when I think of the benefit of my Swampers)! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Doesn't the price run around $100 for the kit? And that's without the adaptor?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:10 PM

i can get you the pump, BOLT on bracket, hose and hardware for about $70ish to your door. then you need to buy a new 1" longer belt for it.
all the parts i supply are used, but acually the only thign that would normally have the issues is maybe a bad pump, but you can get a rebuild pump for under $50 it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode