BW1356 How many splines on front output? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Biggie_Truck

BW1356 How many splines on front output?

Now that the weather has cooled off Im getting back to finishing what I started with this bad boy.

Most important are the nasty vibes coming from the high angle up front when in 4wd. I need to either clock the t-case or get a matching high-angle d-line or both.

Does anyone know how many splines are on the front drive output shaft on this bw1356? I figured Id ask before getting it pulled apart. Ive got other things to do under there.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Shilo

Re: BW1356 How many splines on front output?

I've got one in pieces in my bedroom, I could look for you (if I remember - ask Dave Couch about how THAT goes)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

have you considered cutting/turning the knuckles on the 60 and getting a cardan shaft to match? that seems like it'd be enough... how much lift did you end up with up front? I am actually considering clocking my t-case up because the front angle is so good and I'd like to improve the breakover clearance since it's pretty crappy, especially with the factory skidplate (worthless pos!) [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Do you know of a product that will allow the clocking for our trucks? I was thinking I could grind off the alignment stud and redrill the holes in the extension housing, but last time I looked it seemed like this wouldn't work because of the way the ext housing is cast. I've seen indexing rings for other cases, like old CJ cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Biggie_Truck

No way am I cutting this thing up into pieces now. I just cant see it happening after all that work. Its got about 9" of lift but its hard to tell now because I never measured carefully before the work.

Jesse at hi-angle driveline says that his 1350 cv will workout the problem but it fits to a hub that goes on a 32 spline shaft and he thought the BW has a 31 spline front output. Thinking about it now though I put one on my rear output hub flange no problem so if the rear output is the same as the front I could just get another 4 hole flange and pop it on.

I dont know who is lazier, me for not pulling the yoke or Shilo for not going up stairs and counting some splines. Come on Dude - hook me up!

Try these guys for that reindexing ring for BWs:
Drop it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 PM

cutting and turning the knuckles isnt really cutting up all your work....
all you have to do is cut the welds loose on the inner knuckles, wack them off, then put them on at a new angle, and then weld them on. then adjust your drivline angle, and bingo, you still have good caster!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

thanks for the link Biggie! [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

200 bucks ain't bad but I looked at it again and looking at the area that isn't covered in oilmud, it seems like it could be possible to redrill the ext housing depending on how much I want to clock it. the one thing that bothers me about that ring is that it will give 3/4" less spline engagement between the case and tranny... i don't recall how much engagement there is already but damn if that blew up I'd be buying a new t-case and tranny main shaft [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Shilo

The answer is 31
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Shilo

Muddy, there's tons of engagement. I don't thiink 3/4" would hurt anything. The indexing tab isn't retained; no need to grind it'll pull out by hand.

BUT climb under your truck and take a GOOD look. IME without a body lift there's no room to turn the 1356 up anyway. See if you agree.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 04:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, I already knew that... but that's what the BFH and sawzall are for! I haven't looked to see where it comes out inside the truck or if that'll work, but if so I think it's a small price to pay for what you gain. It looks like the case would only be an inch or so below the frame if I did this [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Shilo

Do you think it's really that bad? I think it's the stock skidplate that kills the deal. IIRC my custom t-case skid is only 2.5" below the framerail on the driver's side........so I guess if you could gain 1.5" that IS pretty significant, but then you've got the crossmember to contend with (it'll still hang low)

[image]http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=78239[/image]

EDIT: and what AM I doing wrong???????? I still can't link pics from Superford. Burned, you got any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode