Idler pully or what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Idler pully or what?

I just got done replacing my water pump [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Such a task, anyhow i noticed that the little pulley right next to the alt. on top of the engine (Not the one with the spring, the bearings are shot. I didn't want to look like an [bleep] at the auto shop, So what is that called? I couldn't find it in my haynes manual, It's a stationary pulley on a 96 351W. I have a pulley that is larger from my 5.0 i put on there but the belt is very tight and I don't want to ruin any other acessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:22 PM

Re: Idler pully or what?

smog pump?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 PM

Nah, the smog pump is under the alt.
It must just be some sort of idler. Is your truck Mass-Air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:36 PM
BoulderBronco7

I know the one you are talking about as I have replaced mine also. I can't remamber ecactly what it is called though. It may be the idler as the one with the spring is the tensioner pulley. I got these two mixed up on an earlier post over on FSB.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: Mass Air

No, I haven't had the courage to tackle that yet. I really want to try and find a '96 bronco in a year or two i like the newer body style, better than my '90. But my 10 yr old son made me promise to keep this one for him [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]. I'm teaching him young! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Well I went to local parts store today and just got a 1 inch longer belt so it wouldn't max out the tensioner. I'll just run it like this for now. The weather is going to be in the 80's all week with no rain so it's topless time (finally). I get so many compliments when she's topless (the truck that is) and so much easier to clean the carpets. I'm gonna cut my Hole for the fuel pump this week while its off, I think that is gonna have to be replaced soon as it seems I'm getting erratic fuel pressures, they go from 40psi to 22psi to 15psi then back to 40psi at idle. I changed the regulator already and checked to see if it is holding pressure, it does, I change my fuel filter everytime I change the oil, so that can't be it, only one thing left. I was able to find one for $140 new at a local auto store not too bad I though. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]-Bob
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:45 PM

idler.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 02:48 PM
96XL

It is a idler for sure i was looking at mine this weekend and mile has quite a bit of slop in it (mine is a 96) i called napa etc ...all they had a listing for is a tensioner not an idler. i will try a few more store and then call ford find out what they call it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:24 PM
esm

I think this thing is called "Belt Idler Pulley" and the Ford Part # seems to be 8678.

Ed
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Found it at Advance- Advance Auto Cost is $15 They have the larger one also that is ribbed, I like that one better it's $20 that's the one from the 5.0. I'm leaving mine like it is it's working good! [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode