U-joints? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:02 PM
broncoman

U-joints?

Comming home from camping this long weekend and when I kick it down to 3rd going up hills/passing I would get this bad vibration from underneath during the 4-3 shift. Also get quite a thunk when going from park to reverse or drive to reverse. 135000km (84000mi) on her and havnt touched anything on the underside yet. Sound like U-joint symptoms?

Checked out the archives and sounds like this is a proper prognosis. Juice's Post How are your Neapco's doing Juice?

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: U-joints?

yep, sounds like a likely diagnosis to me... if it's clunking then you should be able to put it in neutral, block the wheels, and rotate the shaft by hand to see if either of the joints is toast. hopefully it's the ujoint and not the DC joint, cuz that one ain't cheap [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:09 PM

no issues, though they probably only have 5-7k on them. Your post is interesting though. make sure you check your rear drivshaft/joints real good. pull/push checking for loosness at either or both ends. It sounds by the vibration during shifting that it is likely a ujoint. I have an issue with my tranny banging into gear going from drive to reverse when it's hot outside and I've been driving for awhile. It's not a ujoint, they are nice and tight, but when the tranny is hot, and it's hot outside, it seems to bang into gear from drive to reverse or vice/versa. Shifts great, just a heavy engagement. It's been like this probably the past two summers.

Add to that the scary detroit locker noises I occasionally get and it makes for an interesting ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 02:34 PM
broncoman

Looked at the U-joint last night as they seem tight. Also did some R to D shifting and the heavy engagement thunk is gone. The thunking that happened from the weekend was after a long drive and with warm weather just like Juice's, interesting.
Did notice that the cat is very close to the transfer case so the heat might be doing something or if it may be hitting it and making noise. Wouldnt think it would make such a bang if it did. There seemed to be a bit of a mark on the cat from hitting the tcase though. Are there tcase mounts that are wearing? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:55 PM

Sounds like we have the same thing going on. Except that in your first post you also talked about shifting issues bewteen drive gears...I have not experienced that. I just have that annoying hard clunk into gear going from Drive to reverse/vicey versy. And that problem only occurs after a longer drive on a hot day, everything has to get good and hot. And even then, it does not always do it. The cats (both of them) are close to the tranny and t-case, so they don't help with heat. I know that both of mine have some shielding, and they do not touch either drivetrain component. My crossmember mount for the drivetrain also seems in excellent condition. I think it's the E4OD acting up.

EDIT: Are you running a tranny cooler up front?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:21 PM
broncoman

I have the tow package and super cooling, cant remember if that includes a transmission cooler. Have to check my Bronco Brochure if the factory included one.

Ya, my cats have that shielding as well. This is the first time I have had these problems. I'll have to query my mechanic brother to see if he came across this before.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:37 AM

yea, that's what mine has, you should have the tranny cooler up front. It will be the 11 x 7 x 2" roughly cooler on the passenger side of vehicle, in front of the radiator and A/C condensnor.

Check and see if you have the oil cooler, will you? I have one, but never found where that was an option. (It is an option from Ford, just not one for a Bronco. Police packages ran them). It will be two small hoses running off a small metal box that fits between the engine block and oil filter. The two little hoses run over to the lower (cool side) radiator hose.

Are you changing your tranny fluid/filter regularly?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 06:26 PM
broncoman

I know I have the oil cooler because I changed the special coolant hose that taps into in, had to get it from ford $$. Must come standard with the towing or cooling package. The oil filter is also shorter than the usual ford one. I have had the trans oil changed once but it has been 3-4 years. They put the cork gasket in and so now it sweats and kinda gunks up the underneath now, prob time to get it changed again. I assume there is a better gasket that can be put in.

Prob time to do the diffs as well, never been done [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode