what type of gl-5 should i run? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 11:45 AM
96XL

what type of gl-5 should i run?

Alright guys (and gals) i am about to do my 60,000 mile service and i have a question about what to run in the rear diff. i am interested in running valvoline durablend (i am running that in the trans and t-case) anyway i understand the viscous properties of oil and weight, should i run? all of these meet gl-5 standards.

70-80
75-90
85-140
80-90

there are too many choices , i tried to check the chiltons but they are all sold out at my local parts store.

i do not have the limited slip rear axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what type of gl-5 should i run?

I usually run the 85-90. Should be all you need, unless you are going to run sand or do heavy duty towing and then I would run the 80-140. Don't forget to pick up a 8.8" gasket when you get the oil and some black permatex.

When are you going to P/M your truck? I might be able to give you a hand but I am kind of busy so let me know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:23 PM
96XL

Hey dave!

i was going to prob do it around the weekend of the 20th / 21st i will be around on friday afternoon after about 2:00 maybe we can hook up so i can check your truck out? if not maybe next week.

i bought a hand pump to suck out all of the old fluid... i was just going to use it and not pull the diff cover? is this a bad idea? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i am not against more work i just dont want it to leak when i am finished! can i get that gasket at napa???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The hand pump is a good idea for the front diff. but with the rear spend $2.50 and get a new gasket at Checkers. There is one at 88th and Wadsworth, close to where you live. On the rear diff, I usually use "CopperCoat" gasket goo on both sides of the diff gasket, I have taken pretty bad hits on the diff cover and it doesn't leak. The front diff is another story, it is a PITA to pull off, you end up tearing apart the whole front drive line. That being said I did the entire front assembly in about 3 hours the other night. This is where the hand pump comes in handy until you put a plug in the bottom of the diff. I will let you know about my schedule, the rear takes about 1/2 hour from start to finish, and about the same for the front. Either way the work is pretty quick.

dc
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hey Dave, is that gasket reusable? I just use RTV but that stuff isn't cheap when you use a huge bead, so a reusable gasket would be very nice [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] We don't have Checkers here and I haven't seen one listed at most of the local stores... who makes it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are supposed to be a "use once" but if you coppercoat it you can use it a few times. The maker is FelPro and you should be able to source it just about anywhere. I just looked it up on partsamerica.com and it looks like they run about $5.00.

Looks like they have stores all over Arkansas, http:\\www.partsamerica.com.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:25 PM
96XL

dave,

thanks for tyhe tip i will try and swing by checkers tonight and see what they have for a gasket. so do you think that 80-90w should be good for the climate we live in? i dont do much towing etc. i am on the highway a lot though. yeah just email me and let me know when you can hook up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

80-90 should be good enough. If you have lockers and live down south, use 85-140 to suppress the loud ratcheting noise (LockRight recommend 85-140 for their lockers, I believe). But for the very best stuff, haha, use Mobil-1 Sythetic Gear Lub 75W-90! That's what I use.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode