Back to school 3rd Quiz - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Back to school 3rd Quiz

Steel is cheaper and stronger! But its also heavier, and does have an impact on acceleration and braking. But if youre going to be on rocky terrain, its your only choice, since itll hold up to rockrash alot better than aluminum rims will. And did i say theyre cheap? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cast aluminum rims are not quite as cheap, and are definitely not as strong, but they are alot lighter than steel. The main problem with them is that cast wheels can potentially have alot of small airpockets in them, making them alot weaker than forged wheels. Even still theyare the wheel of choice (IMO) for a car or anything that never sees anything rocky.

Forged aluminum are sweet, since by design they are alot stronger than cast wheels....the process of forging them purges any air pockets that may be in them, unlike cast wheels. More expensive, but theyre still good and strong, and light. A little too expensive for me to even consider putting them on the bronco, since id probably just wreck 'em on the rocks anyway. They wont take the abuse that a steel wheel will take, but theyll take close to it, and they are lighter, meaing that your acceleration/braking will be alot better with these than with steelies.

With that said....i had aluminum rims on my first truck, and they didnt hold up well at all. Ive only had steel on my bronco, and going from 15*8 to 15*10 did make a noticeable difference in braking. Not nearly enough to make me think twice about it, but it was still noticeable nonetheless. And considering i find myself running all sorts of trails, steel is the only way for me to go. Ive smashed them on rocks many times, and theyre still doin fine. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:45 PM

15x 8 forged alluminum. They were free in a s-10 cab i bought for a truck i had, they guy said they wouldnt fit his s-10 so he didnt want them anymore. Well they fit the B2 nicely. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:25 AM

I would got with steel also and should just cut and copy what rept said but I will just add one thing he left out. you can do trail repairs on steel wheels with a hammer and tire iron. dont think you can do that on aluminum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 08:29 AM

i got to go with reptand 80b steel all the way if your going to be bashing them. i keep a bfg in tyhe bronco just incase i need to "adjust"them alittle. i had aluminum wheels on my 89 pick-up and had to replace one cuz of trail riding it they dont like rocks very much
aslo my steel wheels were free so thats another reason [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:31 PM

Depends on the terrain. Aluminum works great for on-road, mud, sand dunes, snow. It's downfall is trail riding involving rocks/tree stumps or roots, anything that could put a solid whack on them, especially the rim edge.

The majority of what I do involves trails, and after ruining cast rims in under a year, I was not going to take the chance and buy the far more expensive forged wheel and try this again. so I went the cheap route.

At half the price (of cast aluminum), the steelies were the way to go. Rust is not an issue as long as you keep them clean. with 15 x 8's and the MTR's I have yet to even scratch them on a trail, so they are holding up very well. I weighed my old aluminum 15 x 8's and these steelies, 22lbs vs. 28lbs, a 27% difference in weight.

I think Forged wheels would be great for all around use, but the cost is prohibitive for me. At $175/rim or so, I think I would cry if I mangled one on a trail.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:43 PM

Steel for plyability and price. Heck I could afford 6 chrome spokers for the price of one forged aluminium and I know I would tear-up the aluminium cast or forged. My chrome spokers have rock rash and little dents that could have incapacitated an aluminium. I ruined a set of cast wheeling.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 05:50 AM

I want a set of Billet Alluminums! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think the Ideal setup for me would be an allumium wheel with double steel beadlock rings. That would be the best of both worlds IMO. less weight and durability.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:38 AM

Hey Norm, have not seen you posting in awhile, so welcome back....you did your move right?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

taking reptillikus response one step further...
wheeling- steel unless you can afford to throw away cash for the nice forged ones he described

cast aluminum- for the commuter 4X4 that sees a lot of highway miles and wants to look good.

I have several sets of wheels and tires-

cast aluminum outlawII's with 31X10.50 for long road trips and winter driving

cast aluminum outlawI's with 35X12.50 for posing in the summertime looking good (Marshall tires which are junk for wheeling but look good and aggressive and last longet then the leading poser tire-Thornbirds)

steel wheels with 33X14.00 Boggers that I put on only for events or if my buddies have a serious 4X4 playday weekend planned

multiple sets of tires makes your ride more useful
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:43 PM
froggy

Im personally running alluminum alloys. Stonecrushers with 35 14.50 r 16 boggers. Got a rock stuck in my wheel and it gouged out a 1/8 inch deep 1 inch wide rut in my wheel. Havent noticed any cracks. But I still always keep my spare in the truck just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode