**EDIT2: THE BRONCO WILL RISE AGAIN! **NEW PICS!** - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

**EDIT2: THE BRONCO WILL RISE AGAIN! **NEW PICS!**

Well we were having some fun with the 32's on the B2 and then the clutch pedal felt dead and there was massive vapor coming off the exhaust pipe, which we then figured out was the fluid leaking out and boiling off. I felt the line and it appears to be plastic!?! Man, that thing runs within 1" of the exhaust pipe right by the manifolds, how could it be plastic? Anyway, has anybody ever cracked one of these and had to replace it? I can't find it in any of the parts store computers online, so I'm afraid the stealership might be the only option here [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Any ideas? We could custom bend some tubing I suppose, but it has to flex so that won't work unless there is a rubber section at one end... I'll have a better idea of what it actually looks like after I pull it but just wondered if anybody had this problem before (M5OD or otherwise).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:24 PM

Re: where can i find replacement hydro clutch line?

yep, it is plactic, and have fun getting it off the trans...
its like a $100 part for a fullsize.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

ok, i used a couple flatheads and it came off the tranny with a little fuss. sure enough, it was riding on the exhaust pipe and it melted a hole right into the line [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] We cut the melted part out then notched the tubing a little bit so the 1/4" fuel line would fit over it and have something for the clamps to bite onto. I think it will work fine, but for some reason I can't get the damn thing to bleed. I let it gravity bleed through about 1/2 quart then pumped the pedal like you do for brakes 5 or 6 times, and still the clutch pedal goes to the floor with no resistance at all! I could understand if there was a little air in there, but it's acting like the system is completely dry, and it definitely isn't because of how much I bled through there. Is there a secret to this or does it sound like the master cylinder is dead? I would find that surprising since it was working fine before the exhaust melted through the pipe [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Anybody ever have trouble bleeding one of these cylinders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:12 PM

it takes some work to get it through the bleeder.
muddy, i wouldnt trust a hose clamp and fuel lien there, you need a special high pressure hose....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

hey, I'm from Arkansas, I'll try anything once [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

what do you mean it takes some work? I went through most of a big bottle of dot3 trying to bleed it... is the trick the gravity bleeding or the pump bleeding? Neither seems to work since the pedal goes to the floor like the linkage isn't hooked up (yes, it is, i double checked [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) and the MC makes a whoosing sound when the pedal is about 2/3 to the floor.

Come to think of it, the truck is parked facing up a steep hill, would that leave enough air room to cause problems!?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:35 PM

please dont yella t me for sayign this but... Well i bleed them backwards. Take a length of hose and put it onto a pumpable oil can that ahs dot3 fluid in it. THen i jsut pump it till it gurlges in the resivoir. Works on my brakes and clutch slick.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:38 PM

i have gravity bleed it most, then did about 5-6 pumps and it was good. the hill may not be helping, but is your hose clamp deal where it is losing the pressure?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:01 PM

Re: *EDIT: ever have trouble bleeding a hydro clutch?

Slaves are gravity bleed. I installed a new slave and never cracked the bleed screw. The lines are plastic but are realitively cheap at the dealer only. 93-96 is about $65 while the 87-92 is about $55. Probably about the same for the B2.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I doubt the patched section is leaking, it took some elbow grease to just push the hose onto the 2 pieces of tubing, and the clamp/rib setup should "seal the deal". It's really more like there's a problem up at the MC because I feel no resistance whatsoever, and I would expect to feel something even if I had some air in the slave. We'll try it again tomorrow on flat ground and keep you posted.

Havack, we have redefined "cheap" with this truck... you realize you're talking about dropping over %10 of the purchase price of the truck, right?! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] It looked to me like the line was built into the MC, is yours removable? The exception is that it appears the plastic line is molded to some ribbed barbs at each end, so we might be able to cut if off then put on a high pressure rubber hose from end to end if this doesn't work.

I would just like to take this moment to extend my gratitude to the FORD Motor Company for placing a flexible plastic tube within an inch of the exhaust manifold... sound engineering at its finest! [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

OK, Zach was right, I sat under there while he pumped the clutch and the hose was bubbly looking and twising due to the pressure... that little master cylinder is misleading! We then tried to use some A/C hose off my York but the pedal still goes to the floor with no resistance, though the hose didn't move or expand... I guess it's compressing inside enough to absorb all the MC piston movement. It looks like we are going to have to buy another MC thanks to a retarded move by FORD [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode