Airbagging the front axle. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Airbagging the front axle.

ah, where do i even start?
i would like to do airbags on the D60. ditch my current trac bar, and use the radius arms with custom coil mounts. got my eye on firestone bags wit hanywhere from 16-19" of travel. 6.6 OD so they should have no probelm fitting ontop of the axle and up next to the frame without to many issues....
for valving ideas i am thinking of this....

the valve in the middle to link the two bags thoughter. this can be kept closed for offcamber stability, or open/partially open for insasne front axle flex.
each bag would also have individual fills incase i got into trouble somewhere i could pump that side up some while leaving the other side as is.
each side will also have a dump valve so i can dump that bag if need be if i got int oa bad situtation(for instance on a severe offcamber, i could dump the high side bag to bring the truck down closer to the tire wile the low side stays up.)

i would only really plan on using the isolater valve between the bags on the trail usually, and use the other 4 for fine or added help if needed.
paln on using mechincal ball valves to eliminate elctric solinoid issues. all run into the cab in hopefully easy reach.
the York will be the primary air supply, and ill have a second electric compresser mounted as an auxilery one incase the york seizes/blows... probably gonna use about 5-6 gallons of storage air tanks for the supply.
so, what does everyone think?
more than enough flex? work good? ride hieght adjustment?
go for it?

thanks
Zach

my quick valving diagram. all the square small black spots are the valves...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1177269-airbagdrawingcopy.jpg (17.9 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 11:08 PM

Re: Airbagging the front axle.

i get what your saying, but that diagram does no justice. Also have you considered fabbing up a gyro to eliminate the offcamber problem, you know it would keep teh truck uprighted and the axles owuld stay inline wiht teh terrain.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 PM

If you kept to a single fill point for both bags with no check valve then you could have the same effect of forced articulation. When one side is compressed due to a rock the other side would feel more pressure and extend a bit raising the front of the truck evenly.

If you went to an intruck valving system then you could select between a single fill point to mult fill point with valves....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Juggernaut87

theres a setup called Kevinlever somthing like that, and it works by putting the bags on like a lever, kinda like the radius arms but the connect to the center of the frame, that way u get more lift since its on a lever, kinda like how ur inside tire chirps when u turn cause its on the inside... heres a pic to kinda help
also with this way, the airbags are closer to the body, and theres less chance of the airlines getting hung up or the bags getting cut or somthing like that
1/2 valves are fast, if you want them to be fast, there more expensive too though
the red are the bags, and the black lines are custom arms
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Mud in my Veins

sounds pretty good but what type of bag is that that will travel 19" with only a 6.6" diameter? I still think I'd rather have the bags up the links aways, mainly because you could build it to say within the mfr's "design height" and also because you could use shorter-travel/shorter-height bags that are cheaper than the tall ones. Are you going to build a simple radius arm setup or 4 link type deal? Just make sure that you have enough travel in the bags, that you don't use them at heights beyond what firestone recommends, and that you'll have enough force to hold the truck up at the extended height without going over the max psi rating of the bag. As far as the plumbing... that is up to you and what you need, but it's gonna get hairy running all those lines into the cab and setting up mechanical valves for everything. Solenoid valves would be much easier and you could carry a spare if you're worried about them going out... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

no i aint doing that....

and then havack
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If you kept to a single fill point for both bags with no check valve then you could have the same effect of forced articulation. When one side is compressed due to a rock the other side would feel more pressure and extend a bit raising the front of the truck evenly.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, that would work, BUT that would make it lean way more over than normal when on offcambers, that why you need a valve to isolate them. all th eair would rush out out the low side bag into the high side bag causing it to flip if it was bad enough.... that isolater valve has to be there to avoid this. the coil springs due this naturaly..

muddy, then the bags a re firestone semi truck bags...
moutning them on the axle proivides more controland palces the weight of the heavy where it was from the factory...
why should i worry about it with bags that have 19" usable stroke? ; its called running limit straps and using the bags internal bump sto pand build the coil towers to set the initial heigt....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:58 PM

Sounds like that valving setup is ideal, and you could control any situation. Awful lot to do in the cab though...dump this valve, close that valve, open this one a little, little brakes, close that valve, little gas, try not to hit that tree...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 01:25 PM

...or you could be like BigNorm and just run over the tree with a bulldozer for a bumper [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
just run over the tree with a bulldozer for a bumper

[/ QUOTE ]
now why would i want to do that....
i tread lightly to try to preserve are limited spots to wheel.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 01:40 PM

yeah, Norm, why would you want to do that? TSK TSK! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode