Off Roading Forums banner

Ford TTB

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Shilo 
G
#1 ·
How will a Ford TTB Dana 44 axle with 33's hold up in mud runs?

#3 ·
Yep, don't let the solid axle junkies get you down, the d44ttb has awesome clearance because of the design as well as being strong enough for 35" tires in the mud (trust me
) I've seen 38" swampers on it in the mud before and as long as you don't have a built motor (like wd40!) it seems to work

G
#4 ·
Actually, I disagree Muddy..... on the clearance issue. The rectangular shape of the TTB arms only hurts clearance, a solid axle (even a 60) actually has more clearance under the tubes...and a 60 front gives up only 1/2" under the diff.

Now that I got in a bit of TTB bashing, I think it'd do just fine in the mud with 33's.

#7 ·
Shilo, who cares about the tubes? Note had said mud, not rocks. Lowest point of contact is all that matters, which of course is the diff. I was thinking that the diff sits higher on the ttb than a solid axle but i don't guess that's possible since the axle shaft has to enter the hub and diff at right angles, and there's no joint at the diff. There is extra ttb arm material under the chunk casting that further kills clearance, and I'm not sure if it would be wise to shave that or not. It would probably be ok since the diff chunk strengthens that area pretty well... might be worth a closer look. The rear axle usually gets hung up first so it doesn't matter much in the end. How much can a solid D44 be shaved? Anybody have pics?

#8 ·
You can make the diff on ttb higher than a solid axle. On my ranger I put 2" coils (spacers would work too) and no drop brakets. The axles now point up in the middle, and the diff is higher too. I just needed a major alignment after the lift. Any time the lift is higher than the axle pivot brakets the diff will get more clearance

G
#9 ·
"Shilo, who cares about the tubes? Note had said mud, not rocks. Lowest point of contact is all that matters, which of course is the diff"

Really? I woulda thought you'd want to go for the least OVERALL drag?

#10 ·
You do.

But, read what TanBuddy mentions, I did this as well, just not 2" worth. I don't really notice any difference at the diff housing, but I do have a nice little arch for the remainder of the passenger side axle. Overall clearance/drag in mud might be a tossup, but at least I have a high point to aim for on the passenger side (which is also the tcase skid side that is higher up) for large rocks that I can't just put a tire on directly. My guess is that high area is maybe 2" higher than a solid axle.

G
#11 ·
I have put a 3 inch suspension and a 3 inch body lift on my 80' Ford F-150 4X4 and now my truck needs aligned. This is the first Ford TTB I have owned and I like it. I will run this truck in mud runs in the stock class. I think I'm going to get some 33 inch Super Swamper TSL's. I'm only 16 and I don't have the kind of money to spend on lockers. How do you think I wil do without them?

#14 ·
Shilo, generally the axle tubes will never see mud before the diff is hung up and the truck ceases to move. If you're plowing mud with the tubes, you're really plowing mud with the diff and you ain't going far after that

Don't take my word for it, go find some mud and find it out for yourself... rock for brains

#16 ·
You do have a point though Shilo. I was looking at my "rectangular tubes" yesterday, and I'm not sure I would have any advantage over a solid. Hard to tell, but the "tubes" actually are 4.75" out by the tires, measured top to bottom. The shafts are basically in the center of the TTB tubes as with the solid axle, so, if you just figured that a D44 tube is roughly 2.75" vs. 4.75", that's 2/2 = 1" difference in favor of Solid axle. of course the TTB arms are not the same measurement along the beam, but even with the "bend" in the center of the passenger side, not sure TTB really gains much of anything.

G
#18 ·
Ah, you're starting to see the light Juice
Seriously, I've got my old TTB arms around still.........I need to dig 'em out 'cause I wanna carve "TTB+BFE=SOL" into them with the plasma and hang 'em on the shop wall. I'll try to take some measurements, too.

Is the u-joint perfectly centered vertically within the TTB inner knuckle? I need a reference point for where the wheel centerline would be on these arms. Of course I won't be able to accurately simulate the slope of the arms in the center of the vehicle.

But yeah, if you figure the tubes on my 60 front are 3 1/8" (which they are)... and the shafts are theoretically run perfectly in the middle of that, meaning the spindles are perfectly in the middle of that... meaning the wheel centerline is perfectly in the middle of that....... 3.125 / 2 = 1.56.

So, there should be approx 1.56" below the axle centerline on my tubes?

Oh, I've also got a dead TFI module that I'm gonna do something with regarding "Team TFI."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.