tires cupping, bad shocks??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

tires cupping, bad shocks???

im having problems with cupping tires on the rear, first my Mickey Ts were showing signs, now my new cooper stt mud tires are cupped on the inside with only 6K!

I have pro-comp (i know [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) ES9000s on the rear, 2 years old with around 35K but i took them off and they seem to have really stiff dampening in & out and extend to their fullest (nitro-charged) when unloaded. could they still be bad though?
summitracing says send them back, they will replace but i dont know if im getting to the root of this problem...

any advise appreciated [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 06:36 PM

Re: tires cupping, bad shocks???

I was having that problem last year, but on the OE shocks with over 100K miles on them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Pooh-Bah

now my new cooper stt mud tires are cupped on the inside with only 6K!
Rotate them treads! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
6K is about right for mud tires.
Or, better yet, so you don't forget, rotate the tires every time you change the oil.
Did you see this thread?

BTW, are they cupped evenly across the tread, or worn more on the inside or outside?
I can't see your shocks being the cause if they're in that good of shape.
Course, if Summit will send you a new set anyway... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

i did rotate them 3 weeks ago , front to rear same side, i have been putting 300 miles a week on my truck until today, i quit my job! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

but i did`nt notice them cupped at that point so i dont believe its the front end, also, when i was buying the tires the guy at the tire shop could see the cupping in the mickeys on the rear looking out the front window from behind the counter [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

its just the inside treads (not the shorter concave ones), on the two tires only but worn at least 1/16" inch more.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Pooh-Bah

its just the inside treads
Classic sign of "locker" wear.
Keep off the gas in the turns. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
I don't recall what you have in the rear diff though. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 12:51 PM

BRONCOMANIA: Could I live vicariously here? Tell me exactly how you quit your job. Go into extensive detail here, and take it slow. MAN, I AM READY TO GET OUTTA COLLEGE AND GET A GOOD JOB!!!!

------
ranting over
------

I kinda did the same thing to my tires. I told myself I would rotate them tires when I put my lift on. Well, I got lazy and didn't get my lift on until I already had ~10k on those tires, then I waited a few weeks after that to do it. The funny thing is before I rotated, I just noticed a lot of road noise coming from the front and a "little" [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] cupping. After I rotated I noticed a really strong vibration in the rear (like a knot in the tire). I guess the TTB takes out the "knotty" vibration from tires. Who'da thunk it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

matteorr: Well i hope you find your *GOOD* job [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] , but i did`nt quit without having another one lined up already [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

i took a job here repairing hydraulics thinking it was something new and exciting to get into, WRONG! ...

but i did`nt quit without having something else lined up already, maintaining a fleet of 90 late model freightliner tractor-trailers. sure hope those 60 series detroit diesels are`nt too bad [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

im gonna keep an eye on the tires for another 1K and try to figure out if its the front end thats messing them up but that its just not noticeable till you rotate the tires and run em in the rear for awhile, i dunno [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
im not returing the shocks since they really dont appear top be defective, but its nice to know the customer service dept at summit is so willingly to replace them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:13 PM

Well, a little late on this Broncomania, but I'm thinking two main possibilities, 1) it is your front end messing them up to begin with, and then you rotate them to the rear (now they are already worn at this point, on the inside, from a bit too much front Negative camber), and I recall WD-40 saying once that although they are still rotating the same direction (you swapped front to rear only, not side to side), the force being applied is different. i.e. front force on tires occurs in braking, rear tire force is in acceleration. So, now your inside worn tires begin to show this cupping due to this change in force on the tire.

2) far more remote possibility, but you should check your rear axle for straightness. A bent axle housing (tubes bent very slightly up on both sides, possibly from being overloaded) can cause this. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'm thinking #1 is more the culprit though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 05:09 PM

OT: Hey guys, I've got some good news (or I chose to see it that way at least)!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] I got laid off today. I don't have to worry about all the crap they make you put up there. I'd been planning (for a LONG time) this day and how I'd tell someone off if that ever happened, but it didn't go my way. I found something out...when they lay you off, they are the nicest of people. I couldn't find anyone to be mad at [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. This sucks, I want a do over. Anyway, I just couldn't hold back my joy, I had to let you guys know. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

Maybe I can find me that good job now. Hey, it may push me to start up my own freelance programming/dba business. Who knows, but my friday is definately looking better by the minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode